Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion and Plieades 24th Jan 2012

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lovely shot. I hope you don't mind - I edited it in Photoshop to see if I could remove the sky and light pollution gradient and increase the contrast in the stars.

[ATTACH]78033[/ATTACH]

Not a problem. I don't have any good software yet to do this.

I'll get round to it eventually.

Nice shot. how long was the exposure?

Thanks

I set my Camera to a 30sec exposure for the shot, the maximum without using my laptop.

I suppose I could have setup up my scopes tripod to track for a few minutes, but I wanted to take advantage of the clear skies before the clouds rolled in.

Title should read -

Orion, Pleides AND Hyades clusters + Sirius! (Hyades being the V between Orion and M45) - nice for 30 secs and lots going on in there! (and maybe even a hint of the Xmas Tree cluster as well?)

I stand corrected, I've still got a lot to learn. I've only been at it a year.

Sorry mate, wasnt trying to correct you at all - its just that area of sky has so much going on in it - I know I left out a lot - for example, the horsehead, the flame, numerous smaller clusters - you just managed to capture a hell of a lot in a single shot. Sorry if I came across as a bit arrogant/condescending, that wasn`t my intention at all! :)

he two bright stars at the top left, are they the head stars of Gemini?

Comparing them to the relative position of other stars in Stellarium, I don't think so.

post-18683-133877722472_thumb.jpg

Gemini is certainly there, but it's more of a foot than a head.

Thanks for the comments everyone, normally my images don't draw so much attention, as I'm still a novice.

Maybe a thread for raw images could be started for fellow Astronomers to play around with. I certainly don't mind any attempts at improving the images I've taken.

Hi Doug,

I might have to try a different viewing site to get more in.

I've got an idea to try a full 360 panarama, but I can't do it from my location, as there is a factory a mile to the north of my house, which is like a small city 24/7.

I've just spent 40mins running the images through deep sky stacker and recreating the mosaic.

Seems to have removed some of the noise and allowed me to get some colour from some of the stars.

Unfortunately, the colour is lost as the file size is reduced for upload.

post-24983-133877722676_thumb.jpg

Archived