740427863_Terminatorchallenge.jpg.2f4cb93182b2ce715fac5aa75b0503c8.jpg

Aurora Borealis from County Durham 22/1/12

First time I've ever seen the aurora - I understand it's pretty rare to see anything this far south. I knew the forecast was good and thought I could make out a slight of glow in the north, so drove to my local dark sky spot.

6746258263_be18560864_o.jpg

6745974375_bea7a74d67_o.jpg

6745972361_408c35ce36_o.jpg

All shots - EOS10D, Samyang 14mm/f2.8, 30 secs at ISO800, dark frame subtracted in PS.

There was another CME this morning, so could be another strong display on Tuesday or Wednesday. Unfortunately, the weather forecast is not good.

That looks fantastic - is that what's known as the northern lights? If so, I remember Look North saying it would be out and about yesterday.

Where abouts is your local dark spot? I'm not sure where to go in my area.

Hi there, this was taken from a lay-by outside Edmundbyers in County Durham! :)

Great result Dave....obviously cold..."in car" astro-imaging, like your style! :D

Was out watching this last night, strange to see such a bright arc at this height above the horizon but so little visible vertical height in the rays. :)

Mike

Hi Dave nice pictures. I got a message on The Sunderland Astro Yahoo group last night saying you were there.

You may have seen me if you looked up :) I was on an Aurora Flight from Newcastle Airport last night when it all kicked off. Pretty amazing stuff. I might do a report on it if I can find out where one should go and if anyone is interested.

Hope it looked as good for you.

Hi Dave nice pictures. I got a message on The Sunderland Astro Yahoo group last night saying you were there.

You may have seen me if you looked up :) I was on an Aurora Flight from Newcastle Airport last night when it all kicked off. Pretty amazing stuff. I might do a report on it if I can find out where one should go and if anyone is interested.

Hope it looked as good for you.

I forgot about that, we tried to get onto the flight but it was booked up!

• 2 weeks later...