Narrowband

Interesting...

SoulFrenzy

Depends what they mean by "whale-like", I guess. It seems unlikely that it would have been possible for a whale-like animal to have taken a similar evolutionary path on Europa as on the Earth, but surely that doesn't mean something similar couldn't evolve without a land-based stage? A whale with gills, perhaps (a whale shark)?

It really depends what they meant by whale like. It could just mean fusiform, in which case a shark will qualify, so will a ichthyosaurus.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, living beings exist in incredibly inhospitable parts of our planet, but surely life on earth originally evolved in more hospitable parts, and then moved to other places less hospitable. Thus, there is life in hydrothermal vents, but only because there is life elsewhere. This wouldn't happen where the entire planet was inhospitable. So just because there might be parts of Venus which are relatively hospitable, that does not mean that it is likely that it harbours life.

It's like the spurious logic which leads to claims that, if there is an ocean world underneath Europa, then it might be inhabited by whale-like creatures. What a load of tosh. There are whales in the seas on earth because they originally evolved elsewhere (i.e. on land) then moved back to the sea.

who knows the answer? not me. but surely Venus was once somewhat more hospitable in the past and perhaps life eveolved then and the more gnarly species surved to the present day? hopefully one day we'll know for sure.

Archived