SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Interesting...

SoulFrenzy

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I reckon that life as we understand it is pretty unlikely to exist on the surface of Venus, considering the atmospheric pressure and temperatures.

However, I have heard that at a certain distance from the surface of Venus, at the very top of its troposphere (65 km and up), there is a certain band of atmosphere to have the same pressure and temperature (cca 20°C) that we experience on Earth (of course the atmosphere would not be breathable), so.... Cloud City perhaps? (the winds are thought to reach 100m/s) :)

I don't know the answer but are the pressures and temperature not rather similar to where the black smoker colonies of animals live at the bottom of our oceans?

Ok, granted, but even if the temperature of the exhaled water reaches as high as 464°C (not a lot will survive such temperature for prolonged period of time), it is not a temperature that is, to say, present "everywhere" (perhaps right at the vent's exhaust, where it mixes with the cooler - not so hot - water), whereas on the surface of Venus, the temperature reaches 460°C (on average) pretty much everywhere. That is the issue, I think.

However, I believe that the photograph they all talk about is this

post-27855-133877722352_thumb.jpg

I take your point but personally I feel life is likely to be very common and will generally find a way to get a hook in more than we think.

You know what, William Herschel once claimed that every celestial body is inhabited, even the Sun's surface...a lot of what he believed in turned out to be true so...you never know :)

water is a prerequisite for life.

Only life as we know it, who's to say there isn't life out there that is entirely energy based, or giant floating gas clouds, or metallic etc? When first life emerged on this planet, it would've been largely uninhabitable to most life nowadays. Who's to say that water isn't only a prerequisite for life on earth, simply because there is so much of the damn stuff?

True, living beings exist in incredibly inhospitable parts of our planet, but surely life on earth originally evolved in more hospitable parts, and then moved to other places less hospitable. Thus, there is life in hydrothermal vents, but only because there is life elsewhere. This wouldn't happen where the entire planet was inhospitable. So just because there might be parts of Venus which are relatively hospitable, that does not mean that it is likely that it harbours life.

It's like the spurious logic which leads to claims that, if there is an ocean world underneath Europa, then it might be inhabited by whale-like creatures. What a load of tosh. There are whales in the seas on earth because they originally evolved elsewhere (i.e. on land) then moved back to the sea.

Only life as we know it...

That is what I have always wondered. Just because water is a prerequisite here doesn't really mean that is has to be anywhere else. I'm sure there are a lot smarter people then me that will tell me I am wrong.

This is typical for Russian "boasting" about being the first inventor or people to do anything first.

After all our landings and traveling across the Moon's surface, we (from the US) didn't find any empty vodka bottles so at least there is one instance where the Russians can't boast of being there first :)

As for their "photos", maybe they just discovered "photo-shop" techniques:eek:

Only life as we know it, who's to say there isn't life out there that is entirely energy based, or giant floating gas clouds, or metallic etc?

Perhaps it could, but if it did, would we even recognise it as such?

James

It's like the spurious logic which leads to claims that, if there is an ocean world underneath Europa, then it might be inhabited by whale-like creatures. What a load of tosh. There are whales in the seas on earth because they originally evolved elsewhere (i.e. on land) then moved back to the sea.

Depends what they mean by "whale-like", I guess. It seems unlikely that it would have been possible for a whale-like animal to have taken a similar evolutionary path on Europa as on the Earth, but surely that doesn't mean something similar couldn't evolve without a land-based stage? A whale with gills, perhaps (a whale shark)?

James

Just reading through all the posts here and what the Russians are suggesting.....it makes some very intersting reading, I do agree that the russians are always pretty quick to say ''oh oh oh I done that first, im great your not!'' but as someone else has already said, whats to say life cant be greated from energy or some other ''life force'' if you like as water was/is for us? it makes you think hey :)

Archived