SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tonights Aurora in between dodging clouds

After getting some alerts this evening that the aurora was active, albeit not as far south as the central belt of Scotland, i ventured out with my camera to see if i could get any luck. Got to a site that was close to home (light pollution is terrible), with a good view north, and whilst setting up the camera in the front of the car, my eyes slowly becoming accustomed to the dark, caught a long green band across the sky, so camera thrown on tripod and a quick setting plumbed in, i grabbed the first of many images. Heres a couple that came out not too bad.

Apologies the first one is a bit squint -- this was one of the first i took when i threw the camera on the tripod. The second one was a fluke, after it looked as if the aurora had faded out, i put on one of my prime lenses and was taking pictures of the stars and general areas round about (really just messing around whilst waiting to see if the aurora would re appear).

When i got the pics to my PC, i couldnt believe what my eyes had been missing, a LOT of the sky had a nice green glow to it from the aurora on the second picture.

Amazing what your eyes can miss but the camera doesnt. Im now kicking myself at coming home, as the alert has been upgraded to Extreme+ since i got home, and looking out it appears as if the clouds have thinned a good bit as well.

Never mind, if the sun keeps pumping out these CME's in our direction, i may head north later in the week and see if i can get any more of them -- although probably not as my scope is due to be delivered on Tuesday LOL

Dave

post-32568-133877721643_thumb.jpg

post-32568-13387772165_thumb.jpg

Video is cool mate -- i see you too had the problems of banks of clouds rolling in. I had about 20mins viewing, 40 mins clouds then 20/40 again and again :-( Ohh for a decent clear night when it happens again

Yep, blumming clouds :) , otherwise I would have spent whole night outside, I have even borrow spare battery to my Canon camera. On the time lapse movie is about 52 minutes of real time "compressed" to 11 seconds.

Archived