SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Delapre Abbey

We very much enjoyed the Stargazing Live event at Delapre Abbey this evening. Despite the poor seeing, lots of cloud, etc. we were able to see quite a lot.

Early on we saw Jupiter and its belts. As the clouds cleared the great red spot could just be seen with some of the larger telescopes, as well as some other structures in the belts.

We could see all four of the Galilean moons, and later Io starting its transit of the disc of Jupiter. I hadn't realised how fast Io moved.

As Orion rose above the clouds and the glow of Northampton telescopes were turned towards the Orion nebula. The faint gas clouds of this nebula could be seen when the terrestrial clouds permitted. Something else I'd never seen before.

Finally the clouds cleared overhead and 'scopes were turned on the double cluster of Perseus.

Looking forward now to the next event at Salcey Forest where the skies will be darker, and weather permitting, we should see more - and I will have my telescope by then (Fed Ex willing).

So a big thank you to everyone who organised this event, and to all those willing to let the noobs look through (and sometime even operate) your telescopes, and answer all our daft questions. :)

Archived