Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi to everyone

jmoloney

Just like to say hello to everyone here, i've just joined up today and i'm looking forward to learning all I can.

I've not decided which scope to go for just yet,to be honest it's turning out to be harder than I thought it was going to be and now my brain feels numb.....I'm sure you've all been through this before and understand my plight.

I'll get there eventually.

James

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there I was in exactly your position a month ago, didn't know one end of a scope from the other, Dobs, Newtonian, EQ, it was all gobbledegook to me, but I asked questions, read posts and listened to advice.

I'm still a beginner, but now I have a decent scope and bags of enthusiasm and I'll never stop pestering these guys for answers.

They're a good bunch who'll try and steer you on the right path, so don't rush in, have a read around and you won't go far wrong.

Welcome along and enjoy:)

Welcome to the forum. Im also new to this, I started off with a pair of bins and I can recommend a couple of books for you:

The Practical Astronomer

Turn Left At Orion

Good luck and clear skies.

Hi James,

Welcome to the Stargazers Lounge forums.

Here's my comprehensive intro for beginners.

As goes buying equipment take your time, be patient you don't need any equipment to start out in this hobby, your own eyes are the main tool. Many wise people start out with binoculars to get a feel for the hobby, and to learn their way around the sky before buying an expensive telescope. Meet up with other observers if you can and try out a variety of different types of equipment, there might be an SGL observers group close to you, or else locate your nearest Astro society.

Welcome to the hobby and enjoy yourself it may seem that there's a lot to learn in the beginning but take your time and be patient don't rush out and buy a scope which turns out to be a lemon or something that you find to difficult to use. Get an idea of what to expect from the equipment; no telescope is going to show you the planets and deep space objects like nebulae etc in the glorious detail you see in magazines and film, these are obtained by spacecraft or by astrophotography using expensive and dedicated ccd cameras.

You can however get reasonable results using a cheapish webcam through a telescope. What you can expect to see through a telescope with your own eyes are the planets; these appears as small circles of light, you may see banding on Jupiter and with larger scopes you will see the great red spot and some detail on Saturn and Mars, you will see Jupiters moons and Saturns rings, you will see Galaxies and Nebulae but these appear as fuzzy patches. The stars will not appear any bigger since they are too far (often many light years) away, but you will see a lot more stars that weren't visible with your naked eye. Remember too that in addition to a telescope you need to buy decent eyepieces many people buy expensive scopes and then budget on the eyepieces - these are just as essential as the scope itself.

I don't want go put you off astronomy - rather I wish to prepare you to enjoy the hobby to its best; having the best equipment that is suited to your needs and ability is going to serve you much better since you will use it more often and you will enjoy the hobby better. Remember also that this hobby is conducted at night time often in sub zero temperatures, clear skies mean cold nights whatever time of year, but more so in the winter months, wrap up well with thermal clothing, a warm coat and fingerless gloves hat and scarf etc put on twice as many layers than you think you might need - its surprising how soon you will feel cold when your not moving about much.

Finally good luck in your quest and have fun, if you need any help or advice just ask any of us we are more than willing to be if help.

Phil

Archived