SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Apple Mac Software

The_PSY3NTIST

Evening everyone :) Was wondering if anyone is using a mac for imaging and if so what are the best stacking / processing / mosaic programs available? I have an old laptop but its not up to much and struggles so would be great if there are alternatives that are as good for the mac to save me having to buy a new pc :D

Cheers

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am using an Intel based iMac , 550D Canon. I have been using free program for stacking, not very good results yet, but only tried it once.

I use the standard 18-55 kit for wide field. So far, just learning to use intervals meter, camera on tripod. I think Lynkeos is the only free program for stacking that I found and I use Adobe Lightroom for post processing.

Don't forget you can use any Windows program on you Mac either using bootcamp or as I do using VMware fusion. So on my Mac Book I use Backyard EOS to capture my images and then DSS running under Windows 7 to do some quick stacking.

Currently though I am learning to use PixInsight runung under OSX I think this gives great control over virtually every aspect of calibration, stacking etc.

Don't forget you can use any Windows program on you Mac either using bootcamp or as I do using VMware fusion. So on my Mac Book I use Backyard EOS to capture my images and then DSS running under Windows 7 to do some quick stacking.

Currently though I am learning to use PixInsight runung under OSX I think this gives great control over virtually every aspect of calibration, stacking etc.

Good, tell us how it goes. I use Mac on OS X environment, no Windows for me. The Mac would be as susceptible to virus as any PC.

QUESTION:

With VMware fusion, do I have to install The Windows system on the Mac or the software is self contained and will take care of everything so I can run Windows applications? I would love to use it if I can use a stacker for Windows, for nothing more. And no connection to Internet.

QUESTION:

With VMware fusion, do I have to install The Windows system on the Mac or the software is self contained and will take care of everything so I can run Windows applications? I would love to use it if I can use a stacker for Windows, for nothing more. And no connection to Internet.

If it helps think of Fusion as being a physical piece hardware like your PC. Your still have to install Windows into Fusion.

Once you Mac is running then you can boot your Windows OS by starting Fusion. Once the Windows OS is up, you can run Windows and OS X apps side-by-side. The Windows PC will also appear as a networked PC form your Mac and vice versa from your Windows PC; it really is a neat solution.

Many commercial companies run virtualised hardware like that offered by VMware Fusion, so you can be assured that this tried and tested technology.

One thing to keep in mind is that when OS X and Windows are both running, you are sharing RAM and Disk, but for the Astro apps that I run, and even ones I do not I don't think this is much of an issue

gotta love all them mac users resorting to windows with vmware or parallels. LOL

Personally I would go the vmware route, but it will cost and of course you need a windows license. Just get a cheapo laptop with windows and cut your looses for astro.

Not for long Mr C :icon_salut:

well yeah, but ultimately you are trying to turn a coupe into a 4 door estate. Lets be honest, today every mac user I meet (i am an IT consultant who visits 100's of businesses a year across the spectrum) has Mac users denying that they need or want windows, but actually are using it in one form or another either physically or virtually. It is a bit like wanting electric cars, but you can't because of the lack of recharging points. So you opt for a hybrid and well, you have lost your values.

Nothing to do with the design of Macs. just the commerce.

well yeah, but ultimately you are trying to turn a coupe into a 4 door estate. Lets be honest, today every mac user I meet (i am an IT consultant who visits 100's of businesses a year across the spectrum) has Mac users denying that they need or want windows, but actually are using it in one form or another either physically or virtually. It is a bit like wanting electric cars, but you can't because of the lack of recharging points. So you opt for a hybrid and well, you have lost your values.

Nothing to do with the design of Macs. just the commerce.

It's not Windaes we want.. it's the applications or the drivers for the hardware!

Funny enough I think Windows runs better on Mac hardware.. One good thing about running it as a VM is the ease at which you can roll back to a snapshot when invariably it goes and trashes itself :D

Now that alone is worth it to save your imaging session... try doing a rebuild & restore on a laptop before the clouds roll in.. :icon_salut:

And before this turns into a windows v Mac bashing thread.. I think you should choose the one you are at home with. I use both and which ever one does the best job at the time is the one I'll use. I just have a preference for the Mac as I'm more comfortable with it.. I fund my hobby working in the Unix world. :evil:

gotta love all them mac users resorting to windows with vmware or parallels. LOL

Personally I would go the vmware route, but it will cost and of course you need a windows license. Just get a cheapo laptop with windows and cut your looses for astro.

Really, I couldn't care less for Windows. It just happens that the only imaging program I want to use for my astrophotography imaging process -- just to see if it is as good as they say -- is not available in Mac version. After all, the Windows system would look nicer and run better in my Mac. I have two Windows PCs (one is a $200 cheapo that I use only to stream video from an ip camera that checks on my front door) collecting dust in my home. Everytime I approach them I get sick, thinking on the time I wasted debugging them. I also have a collection of crashed Windows PCs in my garage. The other sits on my office, a remnant of times gone by.

I use a Mac for all my stacking and processing (Windows netbook for capture, though). I use Nebulosity 2 to stack ($60 so not too bad) and Photoshop CS5 for processing. I also use Parallels to use Registar occasionally, but thats just with mosaics and mixed scope data.

Ok here goes , the simple way to open up you mac to all the open source ie free software is to install virtual box and then download Linux Mint 12 . Install via vbox and install all the software recommended from Linux online community . hope this is a help ps may i say there are many Linux versions to suite if Mint 12 is not too your liking

Cheers for all the advice :icon_salut: lots of options there. seems like I may have to get my hand in my pocket and buy pixinsight. Not sure i can go back to glitchy windows though. Shame there are not more developers for mac but I'm sure in the next few years some will pop up :evil:

I refuse to dual boot any of my macs into windows. In fact I've converted the old windows machine here to boot OSX.

I get the impression that Registax is the main thing people need that won't run on osx. Lynkeos doesn't have all the bells and whistles of Registax but its worked well for me.

PhD guider, nebulosity all work well.

I use 'DSLR assistant' also to shoot quick images via USB cable to my camera.

I refuse to dual boot any of my macs into windows. In fact I've converted the old windows machine here to boot OSX.

I have to agree, i bought a Mac to avoid the ever increasing bugs and pop ups the windows produces, not to mention the viruses out there!

Also just purchased PixInsight and it looks a very powerful application indeed. Haven't taken any subs yet though :)

Seriously need to read some tutorials too!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I have a question about mac's and software/guidecam compatibility.

I'm looking at getting a Skywatcher 200p with eq5 mount, then getting dual axis motors and st4 port. I have a macbook pro, and would like to use phd software and a webcam in the finderscope for guiding. I have a windows desktop for registax and cs5, but a mac laptop

Phd is compatable with os x yes? Im not sure what webcam would be best though? I see a few people use logitech quickcam 4000.

Any advice would be good thanks!

Archived