Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging in london

I'm hoping someone can give me advise please...

I want to try and capture the Orion nebula does it matter how long my subs are ?

Can light polution be removed from pics ?

I will be using a Nikon d5000 dslr in prime focus with a skywatcher 150p with an RA motor and lp filter, the reason i ask is because of the light polution is really bad if i do 5min subs .

any tips gratefully received

Dan

When LP plays a big part in your imaging (as it does with most), the trick is to take as many short subs as possible (honest the more the better) and then stack them using DSS (Deep Sky Stacker).

Forget 5min subs...................try a few hundred 5 second subs and stack them.

You will be amazed.

Try 1,2 & 3 min subs - just one of each and see how bad the LP is. All of them may be pinkish but look for the stars and see when they become "washed out". Then take as many as possible of the longest you think you can get away with. You can remove much of the LP with software like Photoshop (or GIMP which is free but nowhere near as good for astro work).

You will also find that your mount won't be up to 5 min subs and you will get quite a high percentage of "spoilers" with trailing and other artifacts. This alone may limit you to 1 or 2 minutes for your subs (better to lose a 1 min sub than a 5 min one!!). Before I had my HEQ5 I used an EQ5 and reckoned to throw out about 35-40% of all the subs I took.

I'm not seriously into imaging but I live in Lewisham and have found that any exposure over about 90 seconds will usually be washed out by LP. And then when I use a light pollution filter I can run longer subs but I'm then up against the limits of my unguided mount.

I've found 1 min subs are pretty good to work with on M42 - the background is a bright lilac colour but, as others have said, this can be largely processed out.

Archived