Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Quantocks

wozza

Hi Wozza

Bridgwater Astronoy Society do a Perseids viewing evenening every August. Nothing else officially organised up there as far as I know. I would go up there if it wasn't for the thought of lugging all my gear up there not to mention how to power it without killing my car battery! (I use a ridiculously heavy 110ah Marine battery and the mains at home).

I'd say Crowcombe park is the best area for astro viewing/photography (really hope it doesn't get privatised as expected). Believe it or not, the light pollution from Taunton still affects photography. I tried a milky way shot up there once. As my camera was facing due South, the LP from Taunton was astounding in the photo considering the town is 20 miles away.

Matt

Thanks for that Matt , i didn't even know there was an astronamy society in Bridgwater.

Matt you are not into scooters by any chance are you ? and i take it you must be close to me as well ? Im in Stogursey.

Hi Wozza,

I checked out the Quantocks a couple of months ago and, like Matt, was surprised by the amount of LP from Taunton. Also, Bridgwater and Burnham to the east were quite bright and then to add to the mix, there was the glow of Wales to the north. The west towards Exmoor looked pretty good though.

So all in all, a little disappointing.

I've been meaning to check out Wimbleball Lake on Exmoor but haven't had the chance yet. Hopefully I'll get there before the end of the winter.

Cheers,

Jon

I live in the middle of Taunton, but my parents live up on the Blackdowns. You do still get the LP from Taunton in the North though as it's only a few miles south, but looking S, E and W is an improvement over the view from the middle of Taunton!

Plus, I get mains power and tea at my parents house!

I'm only just off the edge of Exmoor and even from here I can see the glow from Taunton when the air is moist. It's shockingly wasteful, really. Fortunately on nights when the air contains that much moisture the seeing is barely good enough to be out in the first place.

James

Archived