Narrowband

sky-watcher 200 dob

Hi all, I have a sky-watcher 200 dob which i brought a few days ago (still sits in loung unused!) and was wondering (A ) does the small removerble cap on the large tube end cover serve any purpose or is it just for show? and (:) when I do finally get to use it do I have to take it outside for a little while so the mirror and eye piece dont mist up? thankyou

Sorry to butt in, but it will save me making another thread.

I'm considering buying this scope and was wondering if there are any accessories i should be buying straight away? I think I will get a Cheshire Collimating eyepiece, but is there anything else you would recommend?

Is the finderscope reversed? would it be beneficial to swap it for something like a red dot sight?

Most people recommend a right-angled finder, saves you twisting and crouching etc.

Other than that and the cheshire, it's really down to personal taste. So just use it for a while, and if you start thinking "hey, you know what i could do with?" then you can start buying new shiny stuff :)

Thanks that's what I was thinking myself, just get the basics for now and upgrade if and when I need something.

I can see myself getting really frustrated with a reversed finderscope, so might upgrade that from the outset. Would something like the following be suitable?

First Light Optics - Baader 30mm Sky Surfer III

First Light Optics - Rigel QuikFinder Compact Reflex Sight

There used to be a Dob Group on here, but not sure if it is still active, there was some good tips on there for making setting circles and using a Wixey angle gauge. for finding DSO along with the Stellerium software which is free for getting the ALT/AZ readings then you just moved the dob to what you want to view.

I've got a quickfinder and a 9x50 finder on my dob. I use the quickfinder to get in the right area of the object I want look at and then fine tune with the 9x50. Works every time ( well, nearly every time ! ) Dont pratt about with setting circles and angle finders on a dob, its just as quick using finders if you know your way around the sky.

Good luck.

Archived