Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How about a Witney group?

sanmatt

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am interested in a local observing group - the local societies do a great job I dont see much point trying to compete

Yeah, I agree - no point going to a load of effort setting up and administering another society (and the incurred costs) with others farily nearby, but I'm up for observing with fellow SGL-ers.

Yeah, I agree - no point going to a load of effort setting up and administering another society (and the incurred costs) with others farily nearby, but I'm up for obserlocal ving with fellow SGL-ers.[/quote

I'll third that. Count me in for any local observing sessions. I'm in faringdon.

Stephen

I am interested in a local observing group - the local societies do a great job I dont see much point trying to compete

Im not trying to compete with other groups. I thought it might be quite nice to have a group for those of us that live in Witney. But if it's going to cause unrest then it is just not worth the aggro.

Hello again Sanmatt, getting together for observing sounds like a great idea, if we get a lot of interest finding a good site/sites will be the main problem.

I've never been there at night but here is a suggestion, Chimney Meadows (see links below). I know there are darker skies to the West and North but it look like we need good off road parking and space to set up the scopes.

Google Maps

| Berks, Bucks & Oxon Wildlife Trust |

Mel

Im not trying to compete with other groups. I thought it might be quite nice to have a group for those of us that live in Witney. But if it's going to cause unrest then it is just not worth the aggro.

I was just responding to an earlier post - I agree with you Sanmatt. A SGL group sounds good. Melsky's site looks practical

Great

What would be great is we local few could get together for some observing, a bite to eat and drink and a chat about our hobby. Thats all Im thinking, nothing formal or official. I'm happy to go where ever the flow goes and to whatever group/town.

Sandra

Hey guys...I just posted this in the other thread:

Well it looks like the Witney residents (hi guys) are doing quite well building up some interest too. Maybe a good idea to meet in the middle and keep towards our end of the shire (Ie Noth of Oxford)? Maybe visit different locations on rotation?

A few viewing places spring to mind near moi (I'm thinking dark skies)

Brill hill

Somerton Village

Near Enslow/Kirklington

In the triangle between Deddington/Kirklington/Ditchley - looks promising.

Come to think of the C.Norton guys aren't that far away. Have any of you visited that club

Hi,

I am in Burford and would be interested in meeting up with some other people to have a group star gazing. I agree that since there are already associations in CN and Abingdon, it would better serve a need if there are others who just want to share the odd observing session.

I will keep an eye but feel free to PM me.

RK

as a newcomer, and a Carterton resident i'd be interested in joining a local club and getting to know my way around the sky with somebody who doesn't need a map anymore.

although having only been enthralled by this fantastic and free hobby (discounting the 'scope(s) and stuff) for only a matter of weeks, i've already been out locally trying to spot a few 'dark sky' areas within 5 minutes drive of my house and i think i found one!

i took a quick drive out to the old Broadwell Aerodrome between Carterton & Filkins. The site is well away from any street lighting and has - as you'd expect for an old aerodrome - wide open areas with very few trees popping up in the middle... i think the best way to show it to those of you who don't know it is to pull out the pictures (courtesy of Google 'Street View') so check them out below. Again if you've not been there, you'll see there is sufficient hard standing to both the north & south of the road (which is almost never used).

The only real downside is the glow to the south east - RAF Brize Norton, which is about 3 miles away. Obviously this means air traffic, however being military transports/tankers this is, thankfully, minimal after it starts getting dark, and practically non existent on weekends.

What do we think? If it's somewhere we think could be a possible location (and so close to home!) i could post some night shots of the area for an example of LP in the area.

post-32627-133877722043_thumb.png

post-32627-133877722057_thumb.png

post-32627-133877722104_thumb.png

post-32627-133877722117_thumb.png

Yes I gave a talk an CNAAS last week. They are a very active club and observea lot from the Rollright stones and other locations in that area. Worth giving them a call and see what they are up to.

as for undesirable company that is a risk at any dark site. You might want to get in touch with Abingdon as they do obsering sessions at Frilford and at Uffington and occasionally do ad-hoc ones organised through their e-mail list.

Owen

That looks promising! All depends on the effects of light pollution from Brize. I can see the glow from Brize all the way from Faringdon. Best not use a green laser that close to the airport either!

I'm working tonight, but should be able to get some night shots of the area before the weekend, hopefully that'll give us an idea of the light pollution.

as for the laser pointer, i can make some enquiries with the Air Traffic team at Brize.

Archived