Lyra Optics 150mm f8 Achromat - Pretty but any good?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's clearly a niche item. You buy a large achromat with the heart rather than the head. They're not in some way magical as some reviewers imply. That said, I'd have it in a second if I had the mount for it.

I bought one of the 80mm f15 polished aluminium scopes with a Japanese (Carton) objective from Glen at Lyra last year and it's a lovely thing indeed. Must post a proper review of that sometime.

Back to this scope - the equivalent 6" lens with an Istar tube and no focuser comes in at £1215 from the UK importer. Dave Gibbons on here has reviewed the 5" lens in his own custom tube and it's fair to say he's quite smitten with it. I think the price for the Lyra scope is incredible for something that's been put together and polished by hand.

One note on the aluminium used in these scopes - it's quite thick. Makes other scopes look flimsy. That said it will scratch far more easily than a laquered finish or a polished brass scope if you catch it on something, however any scratches can be easily polished out with a decent car polish.

I suspect that the 6" would be a world class solar imaging scope. One thing which I have noticed about my 80mm is that it absolutely refuses to go above ambient temperature in the daytime, which can't be said for some of the other scopes I've used.

By the way, Glen's a very decent bloke and has an old school commitment to quality. Makes a good brew too.

I would love one of these scopes if I had the mount for it, sadly I have to stick to my 4 inch Japanese built Vixen Achromat.

Versus my ED80 which cost twice as much as my Achro, the optics are notably better producing a far sharper image with only a mild amount of CA

Again it seems madness when comparing the amount of aperture you can get in a newtonian compared to what you get for your money with this Achro.

As said it's a decision of the heart thing.

I've looked at that scope many times, even when it was £950. It looks lovely :)

It's going to show some CA though as Dave's report on the 5" Istar showed. If I still had a Chromacor and I was reasonably confident that the Istar objective would be a match for it, I'd probably have gone for it and had a 150mm ED equivalent for a bargain price. The last 6" ED doublet that I saw for sale cost around £2K I recall - there are not many about !.

To put it in some sort of perspective, I bought and sold each of the 3 6" F/8 achro's that I've owned for less than £200 each (as OTA's). They were nowhere nearly as nicely made as the Lyra one though, although optically decent examples of their type.

I've still got one of those Synta 6 inch achros and at the derisory sums they fetch they are absolute bargains. Something really attractive like this at a moderate price wouldn't be out of place in anybody's observatory. For certain objects it might be just the ticket.

Olly

Thank you everyone for your input on this.

Of course, this would be a "luxury" item for me and do understand it's a heart over head thing.

I'm afraid to say it here, but I have a constant hankering for the old times, when things were coal powered but were built to last. I don't think it is excessive to pay more for something that has been well engineered and put together with love rather than profit margins.

Don't get me wrong, I love the technology these days, my NEQ6 is an amazing piece of kit, as are my OTAs from Skywatcher. Problem is they are totally soulless.

Hope that doesn't sound too misty eyed and hippy :)

Off for a think.

Cheers

Ian

I am the same Ian, its a hankering back to the telescopes I used to see and want when I was in my early teens which were built to last like old Leica and Carl Zeiss camera lenses.

I just love these classic telescopes :)

After seeing the Istar 6 inch f/15 at the Peak Star Party last year it makes me want one even more!

I also like the old stuff, i missed out on a vintage sears 76mm f15 a while back, it was mint, if you can afford the lyra 6" go for it, it can only be an investment, and you have a decent mount for it

I could be wrong but I think the 6" F15 at Astrofest last year was from Peak 2 Valley.

A few weeks ago Richard from Skylight did tell me he was planning to make long focus 6" and take to Astrofest this year. It's already on my want list.

I could be wrong but I think the 6" F15 at Astrofest last year was from Peak 2 Valley.

A few weeks ago Richard from Skylight did tell me he was planning to make long focus 6" and take to Astrofest this year. It's already on my want list.

yes I believe you are right :) (but I still wouldn't want to take it home on the tube...)

The one at Astrofest last year wasn't mine...

• 2 months later...

Holy thread resurrection Batman!

After four months of umming and ahhing over this OTA, I've talked Glen into letting me have it (or was it the other way around?).

Not only will it give me something nice to push around the sky at night I think it'll make a cracking white light solar scope with appropriate filters or wedges.

Thanks again for everyone's contribution on this.

Cheers

Ian

I will of course do a write up once it arrives.

Jules, glad to be of service.... to your wallet :D

Ant, think Glen at Lyra just has this one but I'm sure he can make another if you ask nicely. :icon_salut:

Cheers

Ian

The Istar 6" F10 might be a better consideration for solar obs, it will be fine for white light and would work at full aperture for a PST mod. I've had one for a couple of months now and I'm very pleased with its performance. :icon_salut:

Thank you everyone for your input on this.

Of course, this would be a "luxury" item for me and do understand it's a heart over head thing.

I'm afraid to say it here, but I have a constant hankering for the old times, when things were coal powered but were built to last. I don't think it is excessive to pay more for something that has been well engineered and put together with love rather than profit margins.

Don't get me wrong, I love the technology these days, my NEQ6 is an amazing piece of kit, as are my OTAs from Skywatcher. Problem is they are totally soulless.

Hope that doesn't sound too misty eyed and hippy :icon_salut:

Off for a think.

Cheers

Ian

TAL 100RS, er thats it...

I totally get where you coming from, have you seen this....

Archived