Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First light SW200P Dob.

Hello SGL here is my first light report for my new scope:

Received from FLO on Tues morning at 11:30, in 2 boxes, tube box was massive.

Anyway started assembling it at 11:45, leaving the box containing the tube til last. Oh yes, does anyone know if there should be a metal round plate to cover the back of the mirror? or is it not usually supplied to aid cool down time?. Collimation looked reasonable, but I will check. In all it took about an hour to assemble and line up the finder scope. Ready for the night, which to my surprise was lovely and clear. At 23:00 I placed the new scope outside to cool down.

At 23:45 I was chomping at the bit, so off I went.

First target Jupiter with a 9.7mm Meade plossl, un-barlowed the image was sharp and clear as expected, not much larger than what I see with my 130p if at all, but does seem sharper with the 200p.

Then it was low powered 26mm E.P for some deep sky work.

First stop M42, the nebula looked stunning, tack sharp and quite large when compared to the 130p view. I could of sat and watched it all night. I changed to my 18mm BST Explorer E.P. for the Trapezium and managed to pick out the 4 big stars quite easily and they looked so bright and clear with a slight blue tinge.

Next stop Betelguese, clear bright and very red, I have never seen so much colour in the star before, this was my first wow moment, the colour was amazing. And the difference in this scope to my other one is becoming apparent.

Then and finally I thought I would give M81 and M82 a go, not really expecting to see them, as a bit of thin cloud was making its way across the sky: Guess what, got it straight away, this was my second wow moment as I had not seen them in a scope before. Both galaxies were plain as day in the field of view of my 26mm E.P. What a lovely view these 2 were, yes grey smudges and a bit feint but the longer I looked the more I saw, and averted vision really comes into its own with these two I find.

Anyway I will leave it there for now. Anyone thinking of buying this telescope: dont think, do it. It is truly amazing. Its the best £270 I ever spent. I am trying to find something negative about it: oh yes there is one thing: Why dont Skywatcher supply these scopes with right angled finders? to me it would make more sense, even if they had to add a few pounds to the price.

I will definitely be investing in a finder, but other than that this scope gets 10/10 from me.

Happy gazing all........:)

thanks for the first light report. looks like in for some good nights ahead.

im looking to upgrade later this year to either the 8" or 10" skywatcher dob,so your reports will help me ,cheers.

Why dont Skywatcher supply these scopes with right angled finders? to me it would make more sense, even if they had to add a few pounds to the price.

Then they wouldn't be able to sell you a right angled finder later :).

The 300p comes with a 50mm RA finder and it's very good.

Great report Paul.

Nice to see you're pleased with your purchase.

I know/knew Dartford well as I used to live in Crayford many moons ago, what is the light polution from your observation site. I only ask as I wouldn't have thought that Dartford itself was the greatest spot to view from.

Anyway good luck and enjoy.

I almost bought the 200 Dob but ended up getting the Explorer 200P instead.

It turned up Tuesday but I've not had chance to try it out yet! Can't wait for these skies to clear. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Thanks for the responses guys, AstroImp yes as you say Dartford is not brilliant as far as light pollution goes. I live on a reasonably new estate/area down near the (GSK) marshes, so I suppose its not too bad really until you look to the west and see the orange glow of London. And my street is very dark especially around my back garden, so I am happy with these little bonuses. If it gets worse it will be an L.P filter investment.

Archived