Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

ziggy

Any star will do!

Hi all got a new telescope yesterday not a visible thing in the sky! got home today and lots of stars so I though this is it! Had my tea and guess what ?they have all gone behind the clouds again and now its raining! Is it not meant to be?:)

Hi all got a new telescope yesterday not a visible thing in the sky! got home today and lots of stars so I though this is it! Had my tea and guess what ?they have all gone behind the clouds again and now its raining! Is it not meant to be?:)

Sorry but that is how it is when you get a new scope, they come complete with clouds. It's the same for everyone..Honest.

:)

I have found that a glass of wine is mellowing me a little its my first scope so is making matters worse I guess and the kids and Wife keep asking when im going to use it!

Frustrating isn't it, more so when you have a new scope, although it does make those brief moments of clear sky all the more enjoyable. Hope you get some clear sky soon.

Just wait 'til you get a weekend like the one just gone - I was out every night 'til stupid o'clock, or at least until the 'scope got frostbite! You just have to be patient and grab the opportunities as and when they come. It's impossible to guarantee clear skies in the UK, no matter what time of year.

Be prepared, in the UK it's always cloud season, except the summer and then it never really gets properly dark, although it's a great time to practice at the very least :)

You will find that astro weather comes in fits and starts and learn how to make the most of those opportunities :) The clear sky at sundown to cloudy in an hour is a common theme, first thing to remember is look at the very latest satellite images, in infrared if it's at night, that will give you an idea of where the cloud will come from, or whether it's going to be clear, then you've only got your local climate to worry about after that.

It's always the way! I received some nice new shiny bits from FLO today so it was fingers crossed all afternoon for a clear night. I've managed about 45 minutes tonight before the cloud has decided it wants to fill up most of the sky :). So yes, grab any spare time you can!!!

The weekend just gone I was reading like mad on here for scope recomendations I like to do my homework when it comes to buying things it looks like the sky may clear a later on fingers crossed!