Narrowband

BBC Stargazing Live - My thoughts

Coco

i completely missed it last year so wasnt going to miss it this year but i have to say for a show called stargazing live there wasnt much stargazing going on.

Now thats something interesting that was debated last year. Paul Vanezis, one of the producers pointed out that there are 2 meanings - live stargazing where we look up at the stars (clouds), or a live programme about stargazing...

It is for the latter that the programme is called Stargazing live - its a live programme about stargazing....

On the point that they didn't visit us out in the field at Jodrell Bank that was made earlier. I was there on Tuesday night, and the reason they didn't spend much time out with us was simply that everyone was expecting it to cloud over. We were all very shocked that it stayed clear throughout the shows!

The producers made a judgement call on the running order based upon the likelyhood of clear skies which meant they didn't come out and visit the amateurs. They did tell us that before the show went out.

Cheers,

Richie

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed all three programs too and the follow up chats. My only reservation was that they coulda left the nonesense about UFO's out, and they coulda filled the gap with a bit more time out on the field with the scopes.

Otherwise it most enjoyable with the right level of technical stuff and humour :)

I enjoyed all three programs too and the follow up chats. My only reservation was that they coulda left the nonesense about UFO's out, and they coulda filled the gap with a bit more time out on the field with the scopes.

Otherwise it most enjoyable with the right level of technical stuff and humour :)

I agree that the UFO stuff was a bit silly however I'm glad the covered explanations of what people think are UFO's.

I imagine that anyone seeing a really bright iridium flare would struggle to find an explanation for what they witnessed, not realising how reflective satellites can be.

Archived