Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SGL 7 - BOOKINGS NOW OPEN

daz

Hopefully, if not I'll have to console myself with a mini messier marathon in the night we're camping out for the Venus 2012 transit. Kelling and PSP seem miles off in comparison to SGL7.....I'll get the better half to keep whatever she can cross too!

:)

Edit by Daz: Do you mind if I remove links for other star parties??

Thanks....

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edit by Daz: Do you mind if I remove links for other star parties??

Thanks....

No worries - just trying to be helpful for those who were miffed at missing the boat and couldn't wait for the other parties later in the year

I would like to personally give a big shout out to Daz :), who managed to find me a pitch from when I was on the reserve list. Thanks top guy! (and all the other people that put a lot of effort behind the scenes and don't get thanked enough)

Hi,

On the question of how dark is the site at Lucksall Campsite.

It is rated as 5.21 on the CPRE maps. (Campaign to Protect Rural England)

It is rated as 6 on the Bortle scale. In English this means.......

"Naked eye limiting magnitude is 15.5 at best Light pollution domes visible in various directions over the horizon; zodiacal light is still visible, but not even halfway extending to the zenith at dusk or dawn; Milky Way above the horizon still impressive, but lacks most of the finer details; M33 a difficult averted vision object, only visible when higher than 55°; clouds illuminated in the directions of the light sources, but still dark overhead; surroundings clearly visible, even at a distance."

We got good views of the Milky Way and a number of the fainter Messier Objects at SGL 6 in March 2011.

In comparison, the Galloway Star Party held at Kirkinner in Scotland at the end of September 2011, we had a CPRE rating of 7.0 and a Bortle rating of 2.0 meaning that.....

"Typical truly dark site, Naked eye limiting magnitude is 17 at best. Airglow weakly visible near horizon; M33 easily seen with naked eye; highly structured summer Milky Way; distinctly yellowish zodiacal light bright enough to cast shadows at dusk and dawn; clouds only visible as dark holes; surroundings still only barely visible silhouetted against the sky; many Messier globular clusters still distinct naked-eye objects."

Note both scales are reversed, Bortle is 1 to 9 with 1 being great views and 9 high light pollution. The CPRE 4.0 is heavily light polluted, 7.0 is really dark skies.

Incidentally, Central London registers as 4.17 on the CPRE scale and 9 on the Bortle scale!!!!!!!

Trust this explanation helps to understand the levels of light pollution and what it means for an evening's stargazing.

Cheers

Adrian

Hi,

On the question of how dark is the site at Lucksall Campsite.

"Naked eye limiting magnitude is 15.5 at best

, Naked eye limiting magnitude is 17 at best.d, 7.0 is really dark skies.

Cheers

Adrian

I don't know where they get their info from Adrian, but no human has ever seen anything fainter than mag 6.5 unaided.....Owls can see to about mag 11 or so, but we are nowhere near that.

I don't know where they get their info from Adrian, but no human has ever seen anything below mag 6.5 unaided.....Owls can see to about mag 11 or so, but we are nowhere near that.

I'm looking forward to cross species transplants :)

Hi Rob,

Yes, I thought it strange when I found it. I agree mag 6.5 is a figure that I have seen in a number of books.....

I think high levels may be the maximum values using a telescope, aperture unknown but suspect (without doing any calculations), 16" or larger should be ok for the mag 15 and 40" or thereabouts for the mag 17 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Portability to SGL7 for a 40" could raise a few transportation issues.....

Thanks for raising the issue.

Cheers

Adrian

On the question of darkness.

I think that the majority of people that live in towns will find Lucksall quiet dark and in the past i have heard comments to that effect.

If you live in a semi rural area then you may find it similar to your skies

If you live in a proper rural location (as i do , but then i also consider Kelling worse ) then you will be dissapointed if you think it will be darker.

The reason i attend is to have a good chin wag and catch up :)

On the question of darkness.

I think that the majority of people that live in towns will find Lucksall quiet dark and in the past i have heard comments to that effect.

If you live in a semi rural area then you may find it similar to your skies

If you live in a proper rural location (as i do , but then i also consider Kelling worse ) then you will be dissapointed if you think it will be darker.

The reason i attend is to have a good chin wag and catch up :)

Consider Kelling worse? You are spoiled :)

How does it match up to Kelling then as that's the only dark site I've been to :)

DAM!! When did the pitches sell out ??? Will any more be added ?? The wife was waiting to see what holiday she could have off work and if we could take my son out of school.

About 36 hours after they went on sale I'm afraid :) daz is running a waiting list, and "trying" to get more.

DAM!! When did the pitches sell out ??? Will any more be added ?? The wife was waiting to see what holiday she could have off work and if we could take my son out of school.

I think Daz is planning on visiting the site at the weekend to see if we can free up any more pitches.

The best thing to do is you want to attend is send Daz an email asking to be put on the reserve list

Drop me an email with your needs and dates and I'll add you to the list (see the 1st post with address)

There is a better than average chance we will get more space - I am visiting them, this weekend.

Hi Kai,

I attend for a number of reasons:

a) For the darker or really darker skies than southeast Hertfordshire;

:) To meet up with the people I know through SGL;

c) To meet new people and see new equipment;

d) To have coffee and Java cakes in a relaxed manner; and,

e) To have a good time.

Simples............

Cheers

Adrian

What!!! I missed the boat to book in! I now have two very upset children who won't be going to SGL7. Damm!

How do I get on the reserve list? We can only do the Saturday into the Sunday this year.

Stardad.

Email Daz to be put onto the reserve list :)

i have no idea how big the pitches are but im happy to share mine with someone on the reserve list, i have a 3/4 man tent so another small tent may fit.

im on a non EHU pitch.

The non-ehu is not marked into pitches, so its a case of finding space - but I am being cautious so everyone is not cheek-to-jowl!! :)

Archived