Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

daz

SGL 7 - BOOKINGS NOW OPEN

Don't know if anyone has seen the February issue of Astronomy Now - but SGL7 is promoted on page 78, and in the same week as Stargazing Live, I can only assume it's that Brian Cox affect again that has resulted in such a sell out of pitches ?

Like others I have spare outlets (EHU is terminated with 4 way block) should anyone need to charge up battery powered devices.

I suspect that the only EHUs left will be on the hardstandings for caravans etc.

I don't think there will be a shortage of sockets around the site if anyone needs a battery top up.

Last year I was in a micro tent which was ok but it was a bitch trying to get dressed with zero headroom lol, this year I'm coming with a Outwell Oakland XL tent. I may even bring a cat so I can swing it around :)

Edited by Photosbykev

Just booked in for Wednesday to Sunday inclusive on hardstand with electric.

Looking forward to returning to Lucksall again.

Allan

I may have to wait until some people need to sell their pitches, at this rate I won't be able to book until next Monday by which time I suppose all of the tent pitches without a hook-up will be booked up.

Edited by Hypernova

blimey o'reilly im glad i got in quick.

ive bought 2 hog roasts thinking my wife would come along but she has just told me she is busy, so i may not be eating all day before the hog roast.:)

Recently purchased the masterplug camping reel - it only has two sockets but they are IP54 rated so great for outside the tent

OMG not been on forum since tuesday all EHU pitches gone :) don't think I will be able to stand it with no heating so I may well have to give it a miss GUTTED !!! I blame Brian Cox :) :) .

OMG not been on forum since tuesday all EHU pitches gone :) don't think I will be able to stand it with no heating so I may well have to give it a miss GUTTED !!! I blame Brian Cox :) :) .

It would be interesting to see if the take up has been from members of the forum that have just joined, or members who have been here with high post counts. I assume that although the ordering was via FLO, Joe Public would not be able to book without first registering with SGL ??

I know you can't put any restrictions or favoritism in place without facing "issues", but it does seem as if the places got sold out really quickly and there have been lots of long standing members who have missed out.

I'm gutted as well (was on a 24 hour trip home) but something will come up i reckon.

John - It is a pity but I am hoping that you and I can do some DSO observing on Thursday. I am also hoping that PhilJ will be close at hand so that I can view his video setup again with his Meade frac.

So many friends to see again. Last year I used JonH's binoviewers and liked them so much I bought a pair.

Mark

Cheers John and Mark it'll be nice to see you again. Mark your welcome to pop along and have a look/go and anyone else for that matter thats interested in "impatient persons imaging":D

JonH Yep old brassy is sporting a new finish on the tripod and a few more shiny brass bits:)

Philj

PS Am willing to share leccy or provide charging facility just pop along

Edited by philj

Last year I booked late and still got a EHU pitch I will have to be on my guard for the SSP booking this year.

I guess the increased demand and the rate at which the bookings have come in is a sign of the rapidly growing membership...

Peter...

I'm so glad I managed to get an EHU spot Friday morning. I was off sick from work and went to bed shortly after I'd booked, then the EHU sites were all sold out by the afternoon! :) I'm so sorry for all those who missed a spot. I have a 3-in-one car battery charger that lasted all evening at the Rollrights last weekend without running out of charge. Get two if you can and they'll certainly last you!

It works out im days that week and i cant have the friday off :),but luckily i work 10 mins from the campsite sooo i will have to go to work on the friday then pop back ( it will beat the daily 50 minute commute tho :) )

I know you can't put any restrictions or favoritism in place without facing "issues", but it does seem as if the places got sold out really quickly and there have been lots of long standing members who have missed out.

I think Kelling faces the same issues as well , ive seen people booking pitches at the Autumn Star party for the following years one before its even announced.

The fact is that with limited pitches available (80 in total if i remember correctly) and 12000 active members it was always going to happen. :)

Now if anybody knows a campsite with circa 200 pitches in a dark sky area thats fairly central and is open before easter then let us know :)

Kai,

you have a valid point... maybe SGL has grown so quickly we now need a much larger venue for holding the annual star party, or (assuming the admin team have the resources) hold two events in the year, spring and autumn but members can only go to one or other and not both ?

Edited by malc-c

The site at Lucksall is quite big. I am not sure how many people would fit if we filled it but I would expect 150 or more. I don't know how much more the standard rates are if you wanted to book through the site direct, or even if they would let you book independently this early in the season. I suppose there is no chance of SGL securing extra pitches?

If I had a smaller tent, I would be happy to share a pitch, but I have a 4 person and two scopes I am afraid.

Malc

All those points you have raised have been discussed in the past and im sure in the future as well. Even after the first Hereford star party it was noted that we would very quickly fill the venue in the future.

Im not sure if i agree to limiting members though.

Rest assured there are similar conversations going on about this issue downstairs and we are looking at all the options available :)

Edited by Kai

It would be interesting to see if the take up has been from members of the forum that have just joined, or members who have been here with high post counts. I assume that although the ordering was via FLO, Joe Public would not be able to book without first registering with SGL ??

It was clearly stated from the beginning that pitches would be on a first-come-first-served basis.

The pitches were available to the public, although all pitches have gone to a registered SGL user.

I shall be going to Lucksall to discuss more availability - watch this space folks!!

I'll bring some multi-way mains sockets with me so that I can let others charge from my EHU and I'm sure many others will do the same so there'll be charging capacity enough I'm sure. Besides the warmth that all those chargers will generate will save me electricity - no, errr, hang on a minute ........