SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SPC900 Focus

Hoping some can advise me on this one,

Just been out trying to get some images with the said camera. When I use the camera on its own I can get an image, a small one, but when I insert the Tal x2 barlow all i can get is a washed out disc. (first time I've used it for imaging)

Is this due to the seeing not being very good and a bit of hazy cloud around or is the barlow over magnifying my scope?

I've tried focusing and nudging the gain and exposure sliders around in Sharpcap but to no avail.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Sully :D

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sully you do not say what you are trying to image.

I would guess its Jupiter?

Do you have an IR filter on the camera?

If not you are going to need one to see any detail.

I have also been reading a post on the settings that you have been on.

Sully I have found in my experience the Gamma setting on sharpcap should be all the way over to the left. ie - off.

If you have the Gamma turned on it will blow the image out and all you will get is a bright disc.

Sully I have just read the post on settings by bigbox that you have been on.

In my experience the Gamma setting on sharpcap should be set all the way over to the left, ie - off.

If you have the Gamma set up it will blow out your image and all you will get is a white disc.

Sully go for it with the barlow.

Try these settings.

Frame rate - 5 fps - less frames more detail

Gamma - zero

Gain - 75%

contrast - 75%

Adjust brightness to suit.

Once you have an image you can play with the gain,contrast and brightness controls untill you find what works best for your setup.

If I may give an advice too. I'd suggest going easy on the contrast. I've lost details because of high contrast before.

I like the image also. Note that when you barlow live view is going to suffer. It's gonna get better after stacking if was focused properly though.

I personally don't see much difference in results between 5 fps and 10 fps unless the seeing is really perfect. And yes I agree to the gamma being zero as well.

Here is one on a good seeing with 2.5 Powermate + SPC900 webcam + IR filter + 10" Meade SCT.

Photoshoped3.tif

Well Sully I am waiting with baited breath to see your next image.

How did you get on.

If you need some idea what you can expect the attached image is with my kit and a 5x barlow.

I know you wont get quite to this level because of the difference in scope size but you should get pretty close.

You want to get your image slightly on the dark side so when you process through Registax you can boost it with the wavelets.

post-26845-133877719788_thumb.jpg

Sorry Lads, but I think the clouds could feel my lumpy determination when i left you, cause they Rolled over and flattened it! Couldn't see a thing, gave up an went to bed. Don't worry I'll be back next clear night.

By the way, Crackin image Steelfixer.

I got my gear out last night around 16:45 to cool down while i got dinner ready went out about 3/4 hr later to find it lashing down with rain :) . luckily nothing got into the main ota and everything is good to go. looks like sunday night will be my next appointment with the gods above...

Archived