Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_solar_25_winners.thumb.jpg.fe4e711c64054f3c9486c752d0bcd6f2.jpg

HI

I have been working on M78 for the last few weeks icon_biggrin.gif , I think this is the hardest thing I have imaged , I could have retired still processing this one :D

Taken with and inc

1 LUM 560 MIN SXVR H35

2 RGB 400 MIN 2x2 Bin

3) IADS LPS filter

4) 14" newt at F3.75 ( LUM )

5) Processed in pixinsight

6) All subs 10 min

High res here http://www.harrysastroshed.com/Image%20html/M78%202012.html

Harry

post-16736-133877719524_thumb.jpg

Wow that's stunning, you have really pulled something out of the shadows there. I can see why it took 16 hours at f3.8! Well worth the effort!

Space isn't full of "dark matter" - - - it's full of DUST ! ( Oh, maybe that IS dark matter ! )

Jim S

Wow that's amazing. I'd never have known that was M78 of you hadn't told me.

Looks very different from the Jim Misti image of it which I always use as my reference.

Very nice Harry, but you seem to have brown stuff all over your mirror! :)

Excellent, I dont recall seeing this done as deeply before.

Tim

Harry, I hope you won't be offended or think I'm being a bit of a plonker, and you know my thoughts on HDR wavelets already. This image highlights the problem, everyone who has commented thinks the pic is fabulous and we know the aesthetics of astroimages are very subjective, but I'm left feeling frustrated because I think that the HDR process has sucked the life out of the image. It has pulled every little detail into view but at a price.

I would love to see a process without the HDR, selectively sharpened but with the sense of dynamic range preserved. I did this once with an image of M106 and asked for opinions, one without HDR, one with and one with but part masked. Nearly everyone preferred the HDR version!! So I know it is probably down to my visual cortex but I would love to see the alternative.

Hi Harry.....there's no doubt about your mastery of Pixinsight, and your capabilities as an imager, but I must agree with Martin.

I think the processing has become the dominant feature of the image, not the subject itself....again, like Martin, this is obviously only a personal view and in no way detracts from your skills so please don't take my comment personally :)

Cheers

Rob

Hi Harry,

Nice core taming on the 2 main nebulous regions, but the background for me, is overdone. The brightness levels of the overall image are a bit off kilter for my taste. Sorry about that. By the way, on a nicer note, nice to see your M33 on the BBC star gazing the other night.

Tom.

Hi

To everyone who like it Many thanks for commenting :)

To Everyone who did not like it thanks for commenting :(

I have no problem with people criticising my work , thats why I put it here :D , in response I am going to say I like HDR wavlets and the fact it shows all the detail , so we are going to have to disagree on this one gents;),

Now I do see what you mean about the background , I had to beat it hard to get anything out of it and there is little detail there i.e it seems to be lumpy so looks a bit flat :)

Perhapses another 20 hrs would help , but not this year and unfortunately I think another 20 hrs is what it will take :)

KInd Regards Harry

Might be the hardest thing you've ever imaged but it was definitely worth the effort. This is an amazing image!

Lee

Nice details in the image, but not sure I like the colors, the red is missing from the region. Perhaps a side effect of the HDR? Or deliberate?