Skywatcher Explorer 200P or 200P DS

Ok, so I'm a bit lost here... This is a newbie, equipment and imaging question, but I decided to post it here.

I'll be buying a Skywatcher Explorer 200P somethig, but I'm pondering whether it should be the DS -model or not. There'll be a price difference of 50 pounds or even more, with DS I'd get a scope with better imaging capabilities.

I'm new to imaging (and pretty much to stargazing too), so I'd like a versatile setup that can be used to beholding the beauty of the night skies as well as photographing the moon, planets and deep space (with tracking motor).

So, oh you wise ones, do I need the DS model? Is it worth it?

-Juri

:D

I don't know that the DS will give you a scope with "better imaging capabilities". As far as I'm aware the DS stands for dual speed focuser, so you get close focus with the corse wheel, and then get precises focus with the fine wheel. Optically the non-ds and ds are the same

They say that in DS "...the tube length has been slightly shortened to optimize performance for prime-focus photography."

Focal length is still announced as 1000mm, the same as 200P -model.

Malcolm, have you taken pictures with your 200P? Any chance to see them...?

-J

my understanding is that the DS has been modified to enable more effective attachment of e.g. a DSLR as the primary is further up the tube and the focuser is lower profile and dual speed. they also increased the size of the secondary for the same photographic reasons. this will have a very minor effect upon the apparent contrast of the visual image (you may not even notice) and will also mean you might have to use an extension tube to bring some eyepieces to focus.

Malcolm, have you taken pictures with your 200P? Any chance to see them...?

-J

I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve when it comes to imaging, but here are some results. Jupiter is via a webcam, M42 and M45 are with a Canon 400D and a CLS clip filter to filter out the orange glow as I'm in the middle of Stevenage.

200P (non DS) on an HEQ5 mount.

post-23388-133877719737_thumb.jpg

post-23388-133877719741_thumb.jpg

post-23388-133877719744_thumb.jpg

I'm still at the bottom of the learning curve when it comes to imaging, but here are some results. Jupiter is via a webcam, M42 and M45 are with a Canon 400D and a CLS clip filter to filter out the orange glow as I'm in the middle of Stevenage.

200P (non DS) on an HEQ5 mount.

I'm probably going to start another thread, but I can't get enough forward focus with my 1100D on my 200P - what t-ring / adapters do you use with yours?

Ta

They're great images Malcolm :) I'll be very pleased if/when I can get some like that :) Particularly M42 - that's really beautiful. What exposure did you use?

Thanks Gina, the image of M42 was a single 360 second exposure at 800 ISO (guided obviously).

The M45 was also a single exposure of 600s at 800ISO.

I'm still learning the post imaging process with stacked images, but they often never come out as good as single exposures for some reason !

I'm probably going to start another thread, but I can't get enough forward focus with my 1100D on my 200P - what t-ring / adapters do you use with yours?

Ta

I have a normal canon T ring, which is then screwed directly to the 2" adapter ring.

post-23388-13387771976_thumb.jpg

Archived