Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

SpaceMonkey777

Are the Beeb kicking themselves??

They made a lot of the moving of the radio dish to give us 10seconds of white noise, imho they could've done more with pre-recorded lunar/planetary/solar stuff but at least explained that you need little more than a scope and a webcam and a 35mm film pot to do it.

I did enjoy the shows though and not knocking them for any of it, just wish there was more about doing the viewing part of the hobby as well as the physics. I think they kind of failed with the town lights off too, a bit more forethought and pre-recorded stuff at darksites compared to town imaging, without using 'night vision' cameras would've shown the differences, it's nice having live stuff, don't get me wrong but when our weather is involved they should really have contingencies in place.

Wow you lot are very critical! Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with expressing opinions :D

I think we should celebrate the fact that the programme exists at all and appears popular enough to have been made again this year. I also think they should leave how to's to the Sky at Night to be honest. Showing how an eq mount is setup would be too dry for most people I suspect. This programme is more about kindling interest, nothing more. Once you've done that, people will go off and find out how to do the technical stuff. I do think it's worth spending a couple of minutes going outside the studio to people saying, "Wow!". Other peoples enthusiasm is often infectious! Again, this kindles interest.

Regarding astro photography, they did consistently mention that photograph X took 2 hours exposure, and briefly mentioned stacking of a video in Back to Earth.

Perhaps some feel the title of Stargazing Live is misleading. Well they're stuck with that now and I don't think we should take it literally.

Cheer up you lot :)

Steve

Wow you lot are very critical! Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with expressing opinions :D

I think we should celebrate the fact that the programme exists at all and appears popular enough to have been made again this year. I also think they should leave how to's to the Sky at Night to be honest. Showing how an eq mount is setup would be too dry for most people I suspect. This programme is more about kindling interest, nothing more. Once you've done that, people will go off and find out how to do the technical stuff. I do think it's worth spending a couple of minutes going outside the studio to people saying, "Wow!". Other peoples enthusiasm is often infectious! Again, this kindles interest.

Regarding astro photography, they did consistently mention that photograph X took 2 hours exposure, and briefly mentioned stacking of a video in Back to Earth.

Perhaps some feel the title of Stargazing Live is misleading. Well they're stuck with that now and I don't think we should take it literally.

Steve

Fair enough I suppose.

I agree with Steve it was a fine production even with the cloud problems.

There was a lot of informative stuff and I thought the guy explaining the simulation of how our Galaxy formed was excellent.

It was a shame about the lights off on the village but its easy to sit here and say they should have done x or y i suppose its not easy to move it forward a day or two based on weather predictions.

3.8 million viewers for an astro program on bbc2 means jobs a good n in my book.

Loved the bit on what do we do on the off chance we detect an alien signal..

Enviado desde mi GT-I9003 usando Tapatalk

Edited by ncjunk

Steve

Agreed! Job fairly well done I think.

Even if some of the astrophysics stuff was over some peoples heads it might make them want to look else where to understand! (Thats what I would do!)

I read on twitter that the faulkes telescope has had an additional 40 schools register over the past 24 hours due to this programme!

Big thumbs up from me!

I was expecting a bit more on citizen science, but maybe I missed those parts.

3.8 million viewers for an astro program on bbc2 means jobs a good n in my book.

It makes you wonder why there aren't more astro/stargazing programs on BBC?

20/25 minutes of S@N once per month seems pretty pathetic when there are almost 4 million potential viewers.

I enjoyed, but thought that they suffered from trying to cram too much into a short time frame.

I did get irritated by the separation into two programs though. I don't understand why that was necessary.

Wow you lot are very critical! Don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with expressing opinions :)

Steve

I'm not knocking the programmes, happy that our hobby is actually taken seriously by more people than I thought :) Not sure I'd want them to show the setup of an EQ mount, but a goto alt/az would be very doable in a short space of time.

They make a lot of how easy it is to do astronomy but don't show how easy it actually is. Even binoculars would've done, tripod, point, look, done in 60 seconds.

BBC also have a website that is incredibly good at streaming video content, if this stuff is too dry for live TV, why not have a series of videos to accompany the program? Afterall, they managed to put a video up showing children how to make a telescope, that's pretty dry in the scheme of things!!

They organised a boatload of astronomy societies, they have a lot of people willing to give time to this project, it doesn't have to be expensive.

The break is to allow the outside observers (seen during the main show) time to get from the field back into the studio to make up the audience.

Sounds about right. There was a particular dexter fletcher lookalike that was outside and then was inside gurning for the camera for the second half of the show.

Is he a member here? He had a way about him that makes me think he works in visual media or wants to work in visual media :) ie. the mannerisms of a Blue Peter presenter :)

Dude, you need to tone it down a little :)

Sounds about right. There was a particular dexter fletcher lookalike that was outside and then was inside gurning for the camera for the second half of the show.

Is he a member here? He had a way about him that makes me think he works in visual media or wants to work in visual media :) ie. the mannerisms of a Blue Peter presenter :)

Dude, you need to tone it down a little :)

Most of us watching know who you mean:rolleyes: nowt wrong with enthusiasm and wanting to be part of the show though:D

Edited by Woking

I have been to a lecture on Mars throughout history at the Macclesfield Astro society by that bloke.

Really nice guy very knowledgable and presented an excellent lecture, he looks like that when there are no cameras!!.

Really enthusiastic and helpful to newbies like myself though.

Scott