Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More Mars and saturn 17th Jan

neil phillips

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cheers guys yes Freddy but there nothing to scream about. BTW since switching to RGB your images seem to have gone into a new level, your recent Mars and especially saturns were just sublime the best ive seen for sometime. I think your imaging is now spot on. In both quality and technique I know you have a large scope under a good location, But it still takes a lot of skill to capture and process to that level. Just wanted to say well done.

They are nice and tight.You had reasonably good skies this morning?

Mars is great but the killer is the red Saturn! What a time did you take the avi for that, may I ask re both Mars & Saturn what were your avi runs ( secs)?

Forget the first Q I'm blind!

LOL im getting there Ken

Bad flickering Karlo its what i get around here every winter. Not image destroying jet streams, so seeing is affected quite a lot but lots of frames can combat this

I did 7 mins on Mars a bit long agreed.

They was 6 min captures on the reds Hence better quality because as you know saturn is so very dim shooting with the 5x powermate produces problems with only 245mm optics namely noise full gain. I think one was 30 fps with a raise of gamma the other the same but at 15 fps at 1/19 secs exposure for a slightly better histo

This is the info i explained to demon performer but i didnt read the page properly and he uses a spc900, this is one area where im afraid the spc 900 is left for dead. As im positive i could not have produced those saturns if i only had that camera in my Hands i know on Bright targets the spc can do very well indeed as Stuart has shown. But that is really only half of the Story. Once you take the spc out of its comfort zone namely very dim objects, it crumbles big time and produces horrendouse noise, as oppossed to the TIS cameras that mostly do not, The noise is rather different and often can be controlled as i have shown here.

My saturns were very noisey, but technique can sort that out. I hope ive shown my advice was correct other than the fact demon performer had a spc not a TIS camera.

I mention all this because saturn will be a challenge for many this year, especially before it gets a little brighter. And all these considerations techniques will determine what you get. Do not underestimate how much better the TIS camera can be over the spc. It is worth a upgrade if dim targets and better quality is what members want. I have no connection with TIS, I should add the flea should be considered too

Hitting the ground running with these Neil! The 618 chip looks to be showing its worth for sure. Think I will try using an extension with my 5x Powermate to get f40 for Mars. Can't wait to shoot these targets with the DFK!

Hi Stuart the good thing is Mars is quite Bright so that will help high powers I found 30 fps 1/30 secs seemed to work best but cant be sure of this after only one try it might just have been slightly higher histo levels compared to my 60 fps go ? Karlo has shown lower focal lengths seem to match my 11 meters resolution still trying to figure that one out ? might be hes larger optics im not sure ? but a good plan is both f30 and f40 i think. and even maybe a smaller tighter shot resized maybe f24 25, whatever you get the point. I found Mars real hard Stuart, you may not, but its a real tough target i think. Hence my praise of Karlo on hese Mars Shots. Good luck hope you get Joy soon. and cheers

I may have resolved the mystery Neil :D

I took my fl info from Firecapture but I've just measured the images myself using the 206 x... formula and found the ACTUAL fl for my images is 8264mm which works out at f29 !

Note to self must ignore the txt log

I may have resolved the mystery Neil :D

I took my fl info from Firecapture but I've just measured the images myself using the 206 x... formula and found the ACTUAL fl for my images is 8264mm which works out at f29 !

Note to self must ignore the txt log

That is somewhat closer Karlo what with the extra size on the primary, Explains that one. i might wait untill mars grows before tackling again im not sure yet. i was trying build a jupiter film which again went on the back burner. 14 arcsecs will help a lot, it gets little more interesting around the 14 16 mark i found

That is somewhat closer Karlo what with the extra size on the primary, Explains that one. i might wait untill mars grows before tackling again im not sure yet. i was trying build a jupiter film which again went on the back burner. 14 arcsecs will help a lot, it gets little more interesting around the 14 16 mark i found

The only problem I foresee is "nature never plays ball" Murphy's law that if I were to wait for 14" you can bet your life I won't have a clear sky to see it- I've learn't my lesson :D

If the oppo arises get out there and try - closest approach will come and go quicker that I care to imagine :)

The only problem I foresee is "nature never plays ball" Murphy's law that if I were to wait for 14" you can bet your life I won't have a clear sky to see it- I've learn't my lesson :D

If the oppo arises get out there and try - closest approach will come and go quicker that I care to imagine :)

That is True, im forgetting we live in the uk i think, done it to me on venus once.

Cheers guys

Another 11 meter red channel, same as the top two but with filter wheel attached for more power

6720868847_906b57a296_o.png

Hi Stuart the good thing is Mars is quite Bright so that will help high powers I found 30 fps 1/30 secs seemed to work best but cant be sure of this after only one try it might just have been slightly higher histo levels compared to my 60 fps go ? Karlo has shown lower focal lengths seem to match my 11 meters resolution still trying to figure that one out ? might be hes larger optics im not sure ? but a good plan is both f30 and f40 i think. and even maybe a smaller tighter shot resized maybe f24 25, whatever you get the point. I found Mars real hard Stuart, you may not, but its a real tough target i think. Hence my praise of Karlo on hese Mars Shots. Good luck hope you get Joy soon. and cheers

Cheers Neil I was surprised how well Mars came out for me back in September when only 5 arc secs in ordinary conditions so I'm confident of bagging a good 'un provided the sky is clear. Clayton says I'm shooting f26 not f30 so there is more room in the tank for sure. f40 holds no fears for me now the Dob is tracking so well provided there is no wind.

Another good Saturn!

That is a lovely shot of Mars Neil. And the Red Saturn is very nice as well.:)

We are still in the grip of a seeing drought here in South Australia :)

So my Saturn season hasn't really started yet:rolleyes:

Not long to go though I hope:)

Very pleasing Mars result Neil some fine detail fighting through. Your final Saturn showing some banding. Mars seems to be growing in diameter fast and I find it very bright so gain can reduce significantly. Wind still present here but seeing is definitely better.

John.

Very pleasing Mars result Neil some fine detail fighting through. Your final Saturn showing some banding. Mars seems to be growing in diameter fast and I find it very bright so gain can reduce significantly. Wind still present here but seeing is definitely better.

Cheers HnrKS

John.

Hi John I can imagine, its even bright for me.

Ive also found its better to have the histo slightly lower than jupiter, as Mars small disc can get a touch overbright during sharpening on the full sunlight side i found, despite the histo saying it was on safe ground. Not sure if youve found that ?

I love the smaller of those two shots of mars

I agree that my SPC900 struggles on Saturn. Really should get that DBK or preferably a DMK plus filter wheel.

I found a x3 Barlow ok with Saturn, but adding an extension tube ruined it last time i tried last week

Archived