Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone from Hull/Surrounding areas?

Lynxi

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for the reply Nexus, checking out all the websites, the most efficient and going by best observing place looks to be across the bridge. North Lincs Astro sounds nice.

Thanks for saying so, the views are not bad but I will let you find out for yourself. :)

Next meeting is Monday Feb 6th hope you may get over to have a look. :D

At least the bridge fee will be coming down soon to help in getting over! :)

About time too! :)

The Bridge Fee will not be a problem as I can probably get across free with pass tickets my dad has (manager of delivery company). It's getting someone to give me a lift across safely with my scope.

I have three but one is ancient now and was given to me by my uncle when I was 8 so I can't get rid of it! I actually think the interest may have started back then.

My second and the one I still find myself using mostly is an amature SkyWatcher 70mm GOTO mount scope.

My newest which I was so kindly bought for Christmas which has only being used once so far is my Explorer 130P.

Still an amature so nothing hugely spectacular and my budget isn't that large, but the job is done well enough until I extend my knowledge!

Well I hope the skies are clear when you come over on the 6th so the telescope can do its stuff and show you some brilliant sights.

A bit of free software Lynxi worth downloading to help in finding out out what's up there is....Stellarium just in case you don't have it yet, set your location and your good to go.

I've downloaded Stellarium, so many on here use it so I had to download it for myself. I'm hoping tonight will be clear for some back garden jobs, but looking outside now things don't seem to be looking up.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Hullobservatory, nice to see that there are other people in Hull who enjoy astronomy. I've not been viewing much with the light nights and quite busy summer but am hoping to get back into it again as it gets darker. What sort of things have you been looking at? I've been the Lincolshire-Astro Society and am hoping to get down to the Beverley one as well, you been down to either?

I'm a member of the Beverley and North Lincs groups (and also go to the Brough group too, will be joining when the subs are due). Of the three, I reckon the North Lincs group has the better viewing, followed by Brough and then Beverley (though the viewing there is still better than I have at home in Hull).

All three are friendly and welcoming so to anyone interested I'd suggest just coming along and see what you have been missing :)

The Hull group has moved from the university, but as far as I can tell, doesn't do regular viewing sessions.

Brough has the added benefit of the clubhouse & bar.... but don't forget, don't drink and collimate.

• 5 months later...

I live in Brough, and have requested to join the club online, but for some reason, haven't been allowed in yet. The next monthly meet is tomorrow evening, i haven't been yet, i was hoping they would have approved my membership request by now, before i go to the meet.

I'll be there too (after going to the club for a quick drinkie first). They're a good friendly club and have almost completed an extension to the observatory to make more room for us all for the talks & etc. The telescope itself is top-notch, and even though the positioning isn't perfect for light-pollution, it's still very useable.

One thing though, you need to join the working men's club first (£10) before you can join the astro club, but since that gives you 10% off the price of drinks that is no real hardship :)

5 hours ago, BritAngler said:

I'll be there too (after going to the club for a quick drinkie first). They're a good friendly club and have almost completed an extension to the observatory to make more room for us all for the talks & etc. The telescope itself is top-notch, and even though the positioning isn't perfect for light-pollution, it's still very useable.

One thing though, you need to join the working men's club first (£10) before you can join the astro club, but since that gives you 10% off the price of drinks that is no real hardship :)

Thanks for the heads up on having to join the WMC first, i didn't know. I'll see if i can make it, depending on how my day goes,. Do they have many female members that go, as i'm female, i'll feel a bit like the odd one out if i'm the only female walking into a bar full of men...

5 hours ago, BritAngler said:

I live in Brough, and have requested to join the club online, but for some reason, haven't been allowed in yet. The next monthly meet is tomorrow evening, i haven't been yet, i was hoping they would have approved my membership request by now, before i go to the meet.

Don't get me wrong about needing to join the Social Club first (not working mens club as I originally said), you don't even need to join the astro club, you could instead opt to pay a monthly visitors fee (which is what I've been doing most of the last year, but will be joining tomorrow). When you get there (and if you decide not to use the bar first), go past the clubhouse and you'll find the astro-meet at the far end of the sports field at the observatory, don't bother about the 'No Cars Beyond This Point' painted on the ground.... I'll be in the clubhouse about 7pm having a quick drinkie before the meeting :icon_biggrin:

And yes, there are plenty of female members there :smiley:

Hopefully see you there - I'll be the follically-challenged one in a black raincoat.

1 hour ago, BritAngler said:

Don't get me wrong about needing to join the Social Club first (not working mens club as I originally said), you don't even need to join the astro club, you could instead opt to pay a monthly visitors fee (which is what I've been doing most of the last year, but will be joining tomorrow). When you get there (and if you decide not to use the bar first), go past the clubhouse and you'll find the astro-meet at the far end of the sports field at the observatory, don't bother about the 'No Cars Beyond This Point' painted on the ground.... I'll be in the clubhouse about 7pm having a quick drinkie before the meeting :icon_biggrin:

And yes, there are plenty of female members there :smiley:

Hopefully see you there - I'll be the follically-challenged one in a black raincoat.

Yeah, i know it's down past the leisure centre, at the bottom of the field. I know i won't be able to attend all the meets, due to work schedule. It says on the website that there is a meet most friday evenings as well, have you attended on a friday before?

No I've not been to any of the Friday meets yet, but that is when they just do observing if this permacloud ever clears. There's another group (North Lincs Astro) that meets on the 1st Monday of the month on the south bank. They are also a friendly and helpful group who have regular talks when the sky is cloudy, or stargazing when possible. Again, you can either join or pay a small monthly fee :-)

http://www.northlincsastro.org/

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Petehog72

I've visited both the North Lincs and Beverley groups, I've not been back due to various commitments but both are nice clubs are I'd recommend you pay them a visit to meet some like-minded people.

I'm in the Hull area and have been trying to get out a bit more with the dark winter nights giving a few more opportunities. How are you getting on? Getting some good views with your scope?

hey Roysten, were planning on meeting up with one of the local groups asap, we only at the moment use the back garden but we are getting some great images, just getting used to the camera and software, but its coming along nicely

Archived