Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Lancashire

cowasaki

Well I've just signed up. I have been interested in astronomy for as long as I can remember and nearly did an astro-physics degree but went down the computers/electronics route instead. I am interested in all the theory side as well as the visual side.

My interests are electronics, photography and computers. I am a moderator on Talk Photography (fellow TPers may recognise the avatar). I am working on camera interfacing equipment and build electronic devices for capturing water drops etc.

I have owned telescopes in the past but mainly when I was young and unfortunately light pollution ruined the experience. I would love to combine the hobbies and start taking some photos.

One of the reasons for joining is to find out what I need and get advice off people who know what they are doing.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone. Not sure why my avatar isn't showing....

Well now I need to find out what I need. I understand the principles because of my astro-physics interest i.e. hefty tripod, mount, scope, eye-piece/camera mount.

So now I'm looking through the forums.

Welcome Cowasaki - I am in Bamber Bridge - Preston - Lancashire is well represented on here.

Enjoy!

Robbie,

On a clear night I could probably see you then :D

I am in Bamber Bridge too. Near to "The Pear Tree" pub.

Hi and welcome to the forum. The best resource regarding the requirements of imaging in my view, is Steve Richards, "Making Every Photon Count" (First Light Optics £19.95). A modestly priced book packed full of advice and instructions on what you need and why you need it, to take the level of imaging that you are after. Planets and the Moon are fairly straightforward given that as they are bright, the exposure times required are very short. Deep Sky Objects (DSO's) are a different ball game as they are faint and further away. Here the emphasis will shift to the accuracy of the mount in accurately tracking your chosen object in order to facilitate the ability to take longer exposures. Now, data collection is one thing but like everything else photographic, data processing is also important and especially in astro photography where you will need to 'extract' the details that at first glance might not appear to be there. There are plenty of software programs on the net to help you and that are easy to download and more importantly, are FREE. Of course there are others, sadly that are not so you will need to plan your budget wisely. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and I like the spelling of your tag by the way!

James

Hi and welcome to the forum. The best resource regarding the requirements of imaging in my view, is Steve Richards, "Making Every Photon Count" (First Light Optics £19.95). A modestly priced book packed full of advice and instructions on what you need and why you need it, to take the level of imaging that you are after. Planets and the Moon are fairly straightforward given that as they are bright, the exposure times required are very short. Deep Sky Objects (DSO's) are a different ball game as they are faint and further away. Here the emphasis will shift to the accuracy of the mount in accurately tracking your chosen object in order to facilitate the ability to take longer exposures. Now, data collection is one thing but like everything else photographic, data processing is also important and especially in astro photography where you will need to 'extract' the details that at first glance might not appear to be there. There are plenty of software programs on the net to help you and that are easy to download and more importantly, are FREE. Of course there are others, sadly that are not so you will need to plan your budget wisely. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and I like the spelling of your tag by the way!

James

Thanks.

The "cowasaki" name has been used for maybe 14 years now :D

I am looking at selling off a load of battery powered studio lighting/ring lighting stuff which would net me maybe £1000 plus maybe £500-1000 extra. I have a large selection of Nikon photographic equipment from film FM, F80, EM etc through into digital D200, 300, 700 so looking at what I need to use the Nikon cameras for astro photography.

I have just realised that I have another member literally 1/2 mile away so will speak to him too.

There is too much light pollution round here to do much that is serious so it will be lugging it up to winter hill or another location nearby I think.

Possibly looking at 8-10" telescope but not even sure on which type is ideal. I am looking at a motorised mount to do some longer exposure stuff - My electronics work is involved in controlling cameras so that might come in useful :)

Hi cowaski from Lancashire, I also nearly studies astrophysics but took up professional photography instead. I am really interested to hear what electronic projects you are working on but may I help in advising a lancashire man that here we use umbrellas to catch raindrops. Cheaper and simpler but no good in the wind of southport coast......

Hi cowaski from Lancashire, I also nearly studies astrophysics but took up professional photography instead. I am really interested to hear what electronic projects you are working on but may I help in advising a lancashire man that here we use umbrellas to catch raindrops. Cheaper and simpler but no good in the wind of southport coast......

My part time job is a mix of professional photographer and electronics but whilst I am in the middle of my current electronics project the photography is on hold. My studio has become a store room :D

It does stuff like this :)

drop002.jpg

Yikes, that's good!

Hello and welcome by the way

I'm hoping to put the electronics to good use with this part of the hobby too. I don't want to jump in too quickly like I normally do so will be sucking the knowledge out of my fellow members until I am happy I have the right kits ideas first

Archived