Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

The interview with Eugene Cernan was the highlight for me.

Enjoyed the show and was an improvement on last year. I think the Dara, Brian combo works quite well. Brian dishes out the science and Dara can understand it and Dara dishes out the jokes and Brian is happy to go along. Highlight for me was seeing the lunar scrap yard and Cernan's interview. Black holes tonight....should be good :D

I was just so happy something decent was on tv for once. I thoroughly enjoyed it and so looking forwrad to tonights.

I'm only going to be able to see wed show live cos of work :D but i might be able to iplayer it if my vbox decides to work I can't wait to see how many sgl n flo traffic I reccon it should show live ticker:P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I look forward to tomorrow night's show. And to Betelgeuse exploding on 21st December :D

James

Ha! That bit did make me chuckle! :)

The interview with Eugene Cernan was the highlight for me.
A remarkable man - Especially (first time round) "Uhm... Huston, we seem to have [accidentally] landed..." :D

Thought the program was really well done and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I spotted images by Nick Howes (NickH) and Kevin Wilson (photosbykev) and wondered if any other members, apart from KE400, had their pics shown...

also my moon image on BBC Wales pointing to the Stargazing live website :D

I enjoyed it hugely but like most people here think the Beeb missed a trick by not taking more advantage of the clear skies.

I would like to see a whole programme devoted to an extended interview with Eugene Cernan, what an enthusiast, who comes over as a really likeable guy.

Well done the BBC, licence fee well spent for a change.

Pretty Good

Much better than last year.

Liz Bonnin in SA was a waste of money much as Hawaii was last year.

Best bit was Gene Cernan, shame O Briain had to talk over and cut him off for a pretty pointless brief link to "outside"

It would be fascinating IF Betelgeuse was seen to explode in December in line with the Mayan calendar. For all we know it may of already happened but we just can't see it yet.

The consensus is that the Beeb didn't really take advantage of the fact that it was a lovely clear night. I guess the fact that it is a totally live programme which is governed by the weather meant that they had to have a contigency if it was lousy weather. Well it is looking promising outside my house at the moment, so I may set the scope up and have a couple of hours before the programme starts.

The Dara/ Brian thing works as well in my opinion. There is the Prof dishing out these amazing statistics and Dara giving a bit of lightheartedness to the proceedings. And he can understand it as he has a Maths degree and also a Theoretical Physics degree.

Also the images shown, these were done with basics - I think not !!

I think it's probably fair to say that you need to splash a fair bit of cash to be able to get good results for deep sky imaging, but you only have to look at some of the images posted here by people using, for example, a 127 Mak and an EQ3-2 mount and a webcam, to see that quite stunning results for lunar and planetary imaging are possible with kit that's really not that high-end at all.

James

It was great to see one of our members images used in the closing credits. Great image of the Andromeda Galaxy by Will Youd of the Norman Lockyer Observatory!

I polled people at work who saw the program and, as non-astronomers, they loved it. You can't say fairer than that. As long as the programs get some people enthused and produce new blood in the hobby and or new local society members, whatever they produce has got to be good overall for the hobby.

We are now getting very nervous about how many people might turn up at our Stargazing events now.

Dave

I would have been a better show if they'd actually looked at some stuff up there instead of talking about it.

thoroughly enjoyed it but would think it would be most interesting to people like myself taking their first steps into astronomy than people who have been doing it years.i loved the moon pictures,some great detail but its made me want to get a scope straight away rather than some binoculars and learning the sky first.must resist!!!

thoroughly enjoyed it but would think it would be most interesting to people like myself taking their first steps into astronomy than people who have been doing it years.i loved the moon pictures,some great detail but its made me want to get a scope straight away rather than some binoculars and learning the sky first.must resist!!!

I said this last year when people were on about it being too basic but I remember watching Springwatch back in the day when it was called "Britain's gone Wild" and it got the same accusation levelled at it. The thing is, it built a following and a knowledge base to the point where they talk about Rictal Flanges and present bar graphs and stats and people understand what they're on about.

Basically, over a few series it will gain popularity (hopefully!) and the viewer's knowledge base will build to the point where you can talk about the advanced stuff and the guy on the street will know exactly what they're on about - something that isn't the case with the basic stuff now.

Isnt the whole purpose of the show to attract new blood into the hobby?

There is tonnes of stuff on the show for beginners. Not so much for seasoned astronomers but its enough to hold our interest.

Hi,

I have watched the programme again on the BBC iPlayer on IE 9.

Incidentally, it does not play on Opera 11 browser for some reason (I have informed the BBC iPlayer Team).

The programme is excellent and definitely worth watching. Shame there was not enough live viewing given the good viewing last evening.

When the 17 x 50 binos were suggested as starting gear, the commentator did recommend the use of a tripod.

Trust the newbies heard this message!!!!

I will be watching the second programme to-night.

Cheers

Adrian

3.8 million viewers according to Dara O'Briain. I enjoyed it. I do think it could have been planned a bit better though. They knew the moon wouldn't be out so why spend so much time on it? Could've been saved for tonight or tomorrow IMO.

I pretty much agree with most of the comments so far, loved the show, improvement on last year, wish there was a bit more live star gazing.

Lets also remember that star gazing live is also about all the events that are going on around the country as well!

I also love that they plugged the citizen science stuff too!!

It would be fascinating IF Betelgeuse was seen to explode in December in line with the Mayan calendar. For all we know it may of already happened but we just can't see it yet.

I hope it's happened already other wise I'll never get to see it. Although it will probably be cloudy the whole time anyway!

Thought I was watching the back up plan for "The Cloudy" Stargazing Live. Good to have a plan B, but a bit more gazing wouldn't have gone a miss. Better than last year though and always better than the sh** that's normally on the box. :D