SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Forum Changes....

All,

Due to the large amount of traffic we are receiving as a result of Stargazing Live I have taken some proactive steps to make things a little quicker for everybody by disabling the advanced stats box at the bottom of the homepage and the latest album images, also at the bottom of the homepage.

I know some of you will use these features quite a lot but they add a significant burden to the server SGL runs on so for the short-term at least, we are removing them to try and ensure the forum runs smoothly for everybody.

Thanks,

Grant

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grant, I beleive you posted up some graphs from the time last year's Stargazing Live went out showing the impact on the servers... be interesting to see them for this year too, especially if you are having to turn off functionality to ensure decent bandwidth

All,

Due to the large amount of traffic we are receiving as a result of Stargazing Live I have taken some proactive steps to make things a little quicker for everybody by disabling the advanced stats box at the bottom of the homepage and the latest album images, also at the bottom of the homepage.

I know some of you will use these features quite a lot but they add a significant burden to the server SGL runs on so for the short-term at least, we are removing them to try and ensure the forum runs smoothly for everybody.

Thanks,

Grant

Sorry if i've missed something but does that also mean the "Last 10 Posts" at the bottom of the page too as i seem to be missing it?

Sorry if you meant this also and i've not read the post properly!

It's a real shame you've had to do this - I used the last nnn posts facility everyday as it is a quick and easy method of seeing what new posts have been submitted on the forum without having to manually trawl through every section. Suppose desperate times require desperate measures.

Is there another way of getting a list of new/recent postings?

Will you be restoring it once the Brian Cox effect has abated? I hope so.

It's a real shame you've had to do this - I used the last nnn posts facility everyday as it is a quick and easy method of seeing what new posts have been submitted on the forum without having to manually trawl through every section. Suppose desparate times require desparate measures.

Is there another way of getting a list of new/recent postings?

Will you be restoring it once the Brian Cox effect has abated? I hope so.

Top of the page - New Posts button :D

All,

Thanks,

Grant

Well done, I think it's a wise and pro-active step to take. Preserves the core forum with hardly any noticeable loss of functionality

Grant, I beleive you posted up some graphs from the time last year's Stargazing Live went out showing the impact on the servers... be interesting to see them for this year too, especially if you are having to turn off functionality to ensure decent bandwidth

Oh, I missed that. I'd be interested in seeing that graph, any chance you remember where it was?

Thanks,

Michael

Here some from last year December and January (so you can see the spike) - too early for this year at the moment...

Left had image shows the new posts and the right hand image shows the new signups (97 on the highest day).

Cheers

Ant

Good move Grant. And credit to Brian Cox, Dara O’Brian and Co for hosting such a positive program. That young lady from Macclesfield astronomy society who shared her enthusiasm since receiving a telescope for Christmas summed it nicely. This is a wonderful hobby :D

Top of the page - New Posts button :)

The great thing about the "Most recent posts" listing under Stats on the main page is that the threads don't disappear from the list once you've viewed them - unlike the New Posts button at the top of the page. Which is great for twits like me that can never find a specific recent thread again once I've left it! :D

The great thing about the "Most recent posts" listing under Stats on the main page is that the threads don't disappear from the list once you've viewed them - unlike the New Posts button at the top of the page. Which is great for twits like me that can never find a specific recent thread again once I've left it! :D

I find my browser's (Internet Explorer's) 'History' function useful for this. I'm always closing the wrong tab, so I get it back by finding it's link in history.

Marion

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry Peter. I didn't mean to be pushy or anything I understand about the amount of work every one is doing I disnt releise it was being turned off till the new forum I only thought it was gonna be off for B.C. Sorry :) guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry Gareth et al...

There are quite a few little bits and bobs which are waiting for the new software...

Its going to be "fun" finding our way around SGL V4.0 :):)

I do miss it as well when I am accessing the forum from a pc ...

I guess one of the admins will comment.. I will ask the question ...

Peter...

The recent 10 posts part of the forum is an add on to the standard software - it is very resource hungry, hence why we turned it off for the Brian Cox effect.

To be honest we are hoping not to turn it back on. On the blue bar near the top of the page is a button "New Posts".

It shows the same (and more) information as the last 10 posts add on.It has other advantages as well - tell you which board the thread is in / how many replied etc... Also when you have read a thread it goes from the list.

A much more powerful version of the latest posts :)

Cheers

Ant

As one of the new members because of Stargazing live I must say that I am hooked. I have been interested in astronomy and astrophysics since I was at school and it was a close thing between computers/electronic and astro physics in the end with computers/electronics winning (well it was 1990 and computers were big then :)). Anyway I've learn't a lot more since then and really look forward to any deep discussion about sub atomic particles, super nova, black holes and the like appearing on TV. I missed the first episode of Stargazers Live but caught the 2nd and 3rd (watching the 1st later on iPlayer).

Anyway I for one am hooked and was lucky enough to find someone who wasn't anymore getting me a full setup as a swap. Looking at the newbie/say hello section it does seem rather crowded and quite a few of them live near me too. Hopefully it will all go from strength to strength.

Archived