SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Good Bye Lovejoy!

Hi!

Comet lovejoy is fading as it moves away from the solar system. It is now circumpolar to my location.

I went to take some photos on the night of January the 14th. The comet was just next to the Large Magellan Cloud with its tail extending to Canopus.

It was not visible to the naked eye or binoculars but the camera was able to get it.

It was a great comet and I was happy to say bye bye.

mwaytiffstacl_e_lovejoy.jpg

lmc_1_stacked_bd1.jpg

lmc_1_stacked_bd1_inv.jpg

Taken with a 5DII and Astrotrac Mount

Wide angle is a stack of 10x60'' shots at 14mm

Closeup is a stack of 50x60'' shots at 50mm

Thanks!

Luis

I'm sure I speak for the ENTIRE northern hemisphere when I say I am completely jealous of everyone that got to see this comet and also very thankful for all of you that took pictures and shared them. Luigis you have a wonderful image.

I'm sure I speak for the ENTIRE northern hemisphere when I say I am completely jealous of everyone that got to see this comet and also very thankful for all of you that took pictures and shared them. Luigis you have a wonderful image.

One plus.

What a stunning comet, knocks Hale Bopp's socks off.

Gedday Luis!! :)

Great images, love the first, but all good. The inverted images have been showing the tail really well.:D

Rob from IIS estimated the tail lenght at 185 million Km!! EEk!!

What a joy this comet was!! My best view was on 24th Dec from a dark site - totally stunning!! A huge highlight astronomically for sure.

Sad to see it fading away .... oh well we were privileged 'Down Under'. Final pics coming through on IIS, with Justin taking some more last night, but barely visible in a 'normal' image. He said it would be his last. :)

Glad you saw it Merlin, and love Echuca, and the mighty Murray!! :D

Archived