Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ADM Dual Saddle for HEQ5 -Problem

Merlin66

Has anyone else tried the ADM Dual Vixen/Losmandy saddle upgrade for the HEQ5?

It's a very nice piece of kit (as is usual with ADM) but......

The shorter Vixen dovetails DON'T FIT.:D:eek::p

The "gap" between the ring mounting screws/ cone correction screws on the dovetail is about 5mm SHORTER than the length of the ADM saddle. Bumma!:o

The only solution I've found so far is to dump the cone correction screws and replace the M6 ring mounting bolt with a countersunk head version. This means re-drilling the dovetail to accept the c'sunk heads.

All this for a non critical length chosen by ADM...if only they had gone just 5mm shorter in length.:):D

• 3 weeks later...

I've just ordered the dual mounting bar plus a dual saddle mount upgrade. It was a toss up between the ADM and Altair Astro's, as both of hem allow me to upgrade the puck later on if I decide to get a bigger OTA and need a bigger mount.

What do you mean by "shorter" vixen dovetails? Will my Equinox 120 on the supplied dovetail fit? I hope I haven't ordered the wrong one now.

• 2 weeks later...
I've just ordered the dual mounting bar plus a dual saddle mount upgrade. It was a toss up between the ADM and Altair Astro's, as both of hem allow me to upgrade the puck later on if I decide to get a bigger OTA and need a bigger mount.

What do you mean by "shorter" vixen dovetails? Will my Equinox 120 on the supplied dovetail fit? I hope I haven't ordered the wrong one now.

As you've probably found out by now, no, it won't fit (OK, I'm using this upgrade on a CG5, but I expect the saddle to be common to both); I opted for an 11" Losmandy plate (metric) for mine, anyway, rather than modifying the existing one, and think it money well spent - it just feels so much more solid and secure.

Best wishes

• 11 months later...

I had the same problem when I tried to fit my 102 startravel. I took the bar around to a local metal shop who drilled and countersank the shorter bar for me. They did a neat job and its works okay, just a shame that it cost me another £30!

• 3 years later...

I know this is quite an old topic now! but i have just purchase the ADM saddle upgrade for my EQ5 in the FLO sale and have the same problem with my 130PDS, the dovetail is too short and catches the bolts, So i have purchased the longer 33.5cm one as its only £17. Just something too be aware of if your planning this upgrade : )

Jason

Archived