Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep2_banner.thumb.jpg.e37c929f88100393e885b7befec4c749.jpg

WayBig

Is the horse head nebula a visual target?

So finally last night I made a glimpse of The Horsehead Nebula from The Ardnamurchan Peninsula on the West Coast of Scotland, the seeing was excellent, time was just on 21.00 hrs, h-beta filter with a 2" 38mm Panaview, the Flame Nebula was clearly visible, so its taken me over 10 attempts from the same location with the same equipment.

So finally last night I made a glimpse of The Horsehead Nebula from The Ardnamurchan Peninsula on the West Coast of Scotland, the seeing was excellent, time was just on 21.00 hrs, h-beta filter with a 2" 38mm Panaview, the Flame Nebula was clearly visible, so its taken me over 10 attempts from the same location with the same equipment.

Thats a great achievement - congratulations :icon_scratch:

Your persistence paid off at last but it illustrates just how difficult this object is to see.

Edited by John

I've tried the HH once before but with no luck though with seeing the sketch I think I was looking in the wrong place. I think I will have to give it another go.

Thats a great achievement - congratulations

Your persistence paid off at last but it illustrates just how difficult this object is to see.

Yes indeed, I think I spent around 10 hrs or so in very dark skies, moving from object to object then back to the HH to try again, the sky conditions were very clear that night and as soon as the Flame Nebula was visible up the HH popped, at first I wasn't sure, but a quick look at a sketch I printed off, the stars were there and I could see the notch in the nebula, still very faint so I spent 1hr looking I guess, but it was there.

Next night I tried again in good skies and no such luck.

Nice one. Doesn't exactly jump out at you does it? Tricky blighter.

there is a guy selling a helios 8" newt claiming that he has seen it with that :) a case of miss identification maybe