Narrowband

Is the horse head nebula a visual target?

WayBig

So finally last night I made a glimpse of The Horsehead Nebula from The Ardnamurchan Peninsula on the West Coast of Scotland, the seeing was excellent, time was just on 21.00 hrs, h-beta filter with a 2" 38mm Panaview, the Flame Nebula was clearly visible, so its taken me over 10 attempts from the same location with the same equipment.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So finally last night I made a glimpse of The Horsehead Nebula from The Ardnamurchan Peninsula on the West Coast of Scotland, the seeing was excellent, time was just on 21.00 hrs, h-beta filter with a 2" 38mm Panaview, the Flame Nebula was clearly visible, so its taken me over 10 attempts from the same location with the same equipment.

Thats a great achievement - congratulations :icon_scratch:

Your persistence paid off at last but it illustrates just how difficult this object is to see.

• 2 weeks later...
Thats a great achievement - congratulations

Your persistence paid off at last but it illustrates just how difficult this object is to see.

Yes indeed, I think I spent around 10 hrs or so in very dark skies, moving from object to object then back to the HH to try again, the sky conditions were very clear that night and as soon as the Flame Nebula was visible up the HH popped, at first I wasn't sure, but a quick look at a sketch I printed off, the stars were there and I could see the notch in the nebula, still very faint so I spent 1hr looking I guess, but it was there.

Next night I tried again in good skies and no such luck.

Nice one. Doesn't exactly jump out at you does it? Tricky blighter.

Archived