Moon 15 January 2012

Ju_Cooper

Got up early to try stacking some DSLR shots of the Moon. 40 Canon EOS 450D shots 1/80s ISO100 prime focus Sky-Watcher 150 Explorer Newtonian. Baader Neodymium filter. Cropped in Adobe Camera Raw then Registax for alignment, stacking (drizzle) and wavelets. Post-processing in Photoshop.

6701868497_ff4748b93d_b.jpg

Waning gibbous Moon 07.30 UT 15 January 2012 by Julian Cooper, on Flickr

heyJulian,totally exellent pictures and video of moon,have bookmarked as best so i can look through properly.have you been taking astro images for a long time? could you possably advise,im just setting out.From what i can see a 550d looks pretty good midranger for all rounder.do you know if i have to get modded for astro,and is it true an astro filter can be fitted for normal use also?one thing i just considered is the led viewer that is movable on 600d.is that much concern,or can a lead from camera to laptop be applied for monitoring view focus etc?thanks in advance for any experience you can share

Thank you very much for the kind comments. :):):D

roscoe:

I've been taking pictures of the Moon for getting on for 18 months. Started afocal with a spotting scope, but now tend to use DSLR prime focus on a Newtonian reflector. I've been trying stacked video for the Moon and planets in the last few months with an uncoventional afocal technique through a digital compact camera. For deep sky I use my unmodded 450D prime focus and a 550D would seem a natural successor to that level camera.

An unmodded camera is fine for lunar work and a lot of deep sky stuff, but the camera isn't sensitive to the important hydrogen alpha part of the spectrum so for the very best DSLR deep sky images modding helps. There are different forms of modding (removing the filter or replacing it), which I gather will affect normal daylight use, but this allegedly can be compensated for with a custom white balance. Cooled CCD cameras with narrowband filters are the way to go if you wanted to take things to the next level in deep sky. I'll carry on dreaming :D

I'm not sure there is much to choose from between the 550D and 600D, but the movable LCD screen might be useful if the scope is in an awkward position. I've never used it, but if the newer Canons are like mine I believe you can monitor the live view on a computer via a cable.

Hope this helps

Archived