Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy?

DazC

Hi everyone,

Last night was another clear night, not a cloud in view (apart from the continuous stream from the near by power station) and i had my eye glued to the ep looking at M42 which i got my first look at three days ago. WOW is all i kept saying to myself. I could clearly see the trapezium with my 10mm ep and a faint bluey grey tint to the nebula. As i said...WOW!!

Anyway, as it was such a clear night and there wasn't much lp at all i thought i'd try my luck at seeing the Andromeda Galaxy. I knew where to look for it but i just couldn't find it.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what i should be able to see of it if anything at all and how bright it should apear please.

Thanks in advance.

D.C

Hehehehe, I was there just a few days ago. 3 clear nights of good seeing before I got a glimpse. Now I seem to be able to find it with ease. A dark site will help and averted vision with dark acclimatised eyes. You'll pick it out first as an odd smudge on the edge of your field of view, it'll probably disappear again when you try to look straight at it. Use a low magnification and keep at it.

Archived