Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which Bins?

StarryEyes

I currently have some compact opticron 8x25 bins but I am thinking of some of higher magnification for evenings when I just want a scan of the sky.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what might be good. At the moment I can see Jupiter and some moons with the ones I have but it doesn't look spectacular.

Anyhelp and advice would be much appreciated.

hi gemma, 10x50 bins are good for sweeping the night sky. Avoid the cheap ones and zoom ones and any with ruby coated lens, some of the practika are said to be good, some people like the cheapish bresser 10x50`s i have these and i guess they are ok for the money

Hi Jules,

Thanks for responding, since posting I have being doing a bit of looking around at the Celestron bins, what are peoples opinions on those.

I was looking at the Nature 10x50 Porro and the SkyMaster 15x70.

I had the skymaster 15x70 bins, and they were good, but very heavy, best on a half decent camera tripod, to my way of thinking, if you have to go to the trouble of setting up a tripod, might as well set up a scope

the 15 x 70 binocs will need a tripod. 10 x 50 are ideal foe quick scans or locating some objects. They have a nice big FOV. As you increase magnification the piece of sky visible becomes smaller which is fine if youre looking in greater detail.

Not so good for scanning .

Bart

Cool, thanks guys. I was aware I would need the 15x70 on a tripod and I had also thought like you Jules that if I'm putting up a tripod for some bins I might as well put up my scope. Seems to defeat the object of bins to put them on a tripod somehow though I know why people do and it would make a reasonably portable viewing setup to take away. My dad has some 10x42 so I might try those to see what detail I can pick up first at that magnification.

Thanks again to both of you.

Archived