Narrowband

Would a x5 TeleVue Powermate be a Barlow too far?

stargazerlily

Hi everyone,

I'm after a bit of advice. I have a SW200P (f5) and a SW150PL (f8) that I'm using for web cam imaging and am getting some pretty nice results (for me anyway) when I use a x2 or x3 Tal Barlow with the web cam. When I use the x3 Barlow I can get the image close to being in focus, but not perfect focus no matter how hard I try. I suspect that this may be down to atmospheric conditions and/or the collimation issues etc.

My questions is ... am I approaching the magnification and/or focus limit of what I can reasonably expect from my scopes?

Would using a bigger magnification Barlow, such as a x5 powermate actually result in better images (for better read more detail etc) or would be it a Barlow too far?

I'm interested to hear what Barlow combinations people are using with the 200p and 150PL SW scopes.

Many thanks

Pete

The 5x powermate would work well with your f5 scope but its too much for the f8. You could use an extension tube (barlow with lens removed) with the 3x to produce a similar focal length to the 5x powermate.

Thanks Stuart.

That's interesting about the extension tube. I happen to have a spare x2 Barlow ... somewhere.

Does the extension tube have to be a certain length?

Thanks

Pete

I've used a 2x Skywatcher barlow tube with a 3x barlow and it produces over 5x magnification. Even pulling the webcam adapter further out of the holder will give enough extension to significantly increase fl.

Just found the spare SW x2 Barlow and have removed the lens so I'm already ready to go ... if and when the clouds clear.

I'm assuming this is the order in which they would be inserted into the EP holder:

1: Extension tube (x2 Barlow without the lens)

2: x3 Barlow

3: Web Cam

Thanks

Pete

Archived