Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

California Nebula (6 x 15 mins)

MikeWilson

6697636075_5cef6c17c2_z.jpg

California Nebula (NGC 1499) by MikeWPhotos, on Flickr

Hello everyone!

My latest image, the California Nebula.

I didn't want to image this, I was planning to work on my Rosette, however technical problems (broken filter wheel) delayed me for a couple of hours and then the 70% moon came up so I had to quickly find a target on the opposite side to the moon.

It was -3 and I was absolutely freezing cold in the middle of a dark site an hour from home.

Still, the company, hot coffee and confectionery kept my energy levels up :-)

It's just an hour and a half as I wanted to get home before I was found by the morning shift, frozen* onto the hillside!

Equipment as per my sig:

Orion ED80T CF

Astronomik CLS filter

QHY8L CCD

HEQ5 PRO

*note: My

was fabulously warm!

That's pretty darn sexy for a 'Plan B' :-)

It looks a teensy bit dark on my monitor? ie: the stars look perhaps a touch too knocked back? Dunno if that's just me?

Lovely, lovely pic though, and very nice star colours.

I'm really quite glad for my imaging site being in the carpark to my workshop where I at least have a small heater! It's not megga dark... but if I didn't have it I think I'd also have to invest in some very good winter clothing :-)

Ben

Hi Spencer and Ben,

Thanks for your comments. Yes, the stars have been suppressed a little - I lost the edges of the stars by neutralising the background although a second layer, blended in after a 'high pass' filter was applied does give them a little sparkle back.

It's just 1 hour and 30 minutes of data, which I'm pretty pleased with so far.

Although I really want to get the Rosette finished!

All the best,

Mike

Mike - this is a great shot of a nebula I've not actually seen before. You framed a processed it really well, it's got "atmosphere" to the extent that it reminds me of an "evil" cloud Kirk and the boys might bump into from time to time...or a de-cloaking klingon! :) Really quite good

David

Thanks chaps,

I ask myself. "why do we do this?" a lot, as does my wife, haha :)

Next time I'm in this area, I'll grab some Ha frames to see if this brings out the nebula a bit more.

Mike

Sent from my mobile using TapaTalk (so please excuse bad grammar & spelling!) :-)

Thanks,

This is Plan B - but yep, I'll add more to it when I can. Not from home but maybe next time I'm out observing away from home.

All the best,

Mike

Sent from my mobile using TapaTalk (so please excuse bad grammar & spelling!) :-)

Archived