Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Locating the Bubble Nebula for imaging

Sammyb

Hello all,

I've tried to locate this a couple of times without success.

I doubt I'll be able to see it down the eye-piece so does anyone have any tips how to get it in the middle of the chip for imaging?

Thanks,

Sam

My non technical way (as im on it tonight as well) is find the last/bottom two stars of cassiopia and extend the line as much again.

If you hit M52 (globular) you're just above it

That puts you in the ball park. 120s exposures on my 450D show it up (with a CLS filter in play)

If you are planning on doing a lot of imaging then you really should get your mount connected up to a laptop running planetarium software, such as the excellent and free Cartes du Ciel. Connect to that, sync to a star near the object you want to image, and then tell the mount to slew to the object.

Don't know what mount you have though.

Rob.

Cheers chaps.

I am in fact using CdC ! When I slew to it though and try some exposures I can't see it. My problem is I am using an Atik Titan and the chip is small so if slightly off I can't see it.

I'll have to try again

Sam

Cheers chaps.

I am in fact using CdC ! When I slew to it though and try some exposures I can't see it. My problem is I am using an Atik Titan and the chip is small so if slightly off I can't see it.

I'll have to try again

Sam

your alignment is off. redo a 3 star calibration and ensure you are hitting the right stars.

Did a 3 star myself on non known stars to me and couldn't find the gaint M33 tonight as it was later than usual and don't know the sky that well.

Straight away I re-did the 3 star alignment with a different set of stars and bingo.

Archived