Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

1 hr M51 experiment

Spikey

I think this target may be a bit too small to get in close for my Scope/DSLR setup.

I tried a quick 1hour in 5 min subs @ ISO800 with the 1000D/ED80 last night.

Only applied very basic process and stretch as due to lack of data the image starts to really suffer from noise.

Widefield looks nice and natural(ish) but try and crop and it falls downhill :)

This target is a first for me and I'll definately revisit it as it's beginning to get in a nice position for my setup. Maybe with the 200p if I get the finder/guider setup or I might buy a few bits and swap the Atik from guiding to imaging.

spikey-albums-dso-s-picture15191-m51-dss-proc2.jpg

And a x2 drizzle;

spikey-albums-dso-s-picture15190-m51-dss-proc-x2-driz.jpg

It looks great. More subs and bias frames will reduce the noise and then it will look even better.

I have a 250P (f/l=1200mm) and I can't finder guide (QHY5) with that past a minute or two. I guess the focal length is too mis-matched. I have a SW 100ED and I can finder guide with that 'til the cows come home (I use a focal reducer, so scope f/l=765mm). Just a word of warning really. If your mount will take it, piggy backing the guide scope may be a safer option with the 200P.

Thanks for the comments :)

I'm pretty sure that the HEQ5 won't have the 200p plus a piggy back scope without grumbling - tempted to try though as I could put the DSLR on that rig and leave the Atik on the ED80 at prime.

Archived