SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

gdheib0430

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope I don't start a Xbox is better than Playstation, vice versa war with this post..

Has anyone modded the Playstation Move camera?

Rob.

I have modded it as far as removing lens and attaching nosepiece and IR filter, though not had chance to try it in scope. One thing I do know is that because it doesnt compress the data at all the files are very large - a few seconds will clock up hundreds of Megabytes, but hopefully this will give it the edge, especially if compared directly with the xbox cam.

There is a thread on here showing a jupiter done using the eyecam, with 150p scope - http://stargazerslou...attach_id=72224

If the chance arises I'll post to this thread for reference.

Regards

Aenima

As per previous advice i restricted it to one two minute avi. I've managed to process a clearer image from the data, but its looking a little artificial to my eyes.

post-26939-135723813942_thumb.jpg

Good capture, hulk.

Thats actually a rather nice image, especially when you take into account the inexpensive xbox cam. :)

As far as the colour tones and detail go you may have started to approach some of the limitations I was finding with pretty much the same set-up, but to be honest I didnt manage to improve on the above image even a while after getting the spc900 / 200mm scope.

post-18772-0-35239300-1357299469_thumb.p

It was therefore very likely user error in my case, my lengthy learning curve, so there is certainly still a good chance you can get more from your scope. Another barlow - stacked - is often useful unless it pushes the magnification over the top, there's some maths involved but thats definitely not my strong point - you might find it online, though.

Regards

Aenima

As per previous advice i restricted it to one two minute avi.

Not sure if you already do this but I noticed you said one 2min avi, it may seem obvious sorry but I always find taking about three or four avi's in a row, with slightly different settings and sometimes tweaking the focus - just in case - each time. Focus is very hard to get right, especially at higher magnifications, so to give it a good chance of being the right settings/focus as well as having the 'moments' of good seeing all at the same time you can do several captures in a row.

Hope this was helpful, :)

Regards

Aenima

I managed this the other night with my Xbox cam and 200P but only captured about 400 frames in total as the cloud shot in from nowhere! (Windy). Would 3 or 4x the frames help with the colour aspect?

post-26268-135730057354_thumb.jpg

U got some good detail there, though it looks like registax had some trouble aligning the frames - it does that a bit, but if you run your avi through Castrator (free software) first it crops and centers it automatically both calming it down and reducing blank space making the file a bit more managable.

Unfortunately, the xbox cam seems quite difficult to get colour from with a tendency to grey/blue ish colour tinges. Other than careful capture and processing while keeping the colour issue forefront in your mind I havent found a way to improve it - but I have to admit when I moved on to the spc880 my experiments with the xbox cam stopped, so who knows? One thing that always pays off in this hobby is determination. I would never have got anywhere without being rather stubborn :)

Your detail is great and with a little extra processing I'm sure you'll get a lot more from your scope and cam.

Regards

Aenima

Not sure if you already do this but I noticed you said one 2min avi, it may seem obvious sorry but I always find taking about three or four avi's in a row, with slightly different settings and sometimes tweaking the focus - just in case - each time. Focus is very hard to get right, especially at higher magnifications, so to give it a good chance of being the right settings/focus as well as having the 'moments' of good seeing all at the same time you can do several captures in a row.

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my post. Yes that's what I do, but I'm only using one avi to make an image. I did try using PIPP to process three avi's took in sequence into one, but the image (after RegiStax) wasn't up to much.

It's looking good tonight, so I'll have to get out there and capture some more:) thanks for your help and comments (and everyone else's!), I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the kind comments in my photo, I will use Castrator next time, I did wonder where the lines came from!

I am LOVING experimenting, I'm finding it half the pleasure of this new interest, the other half being the thrill of finding things after a star hop!

Sorry I wasn't very clear in my post. Yes that's what I do, but I'm only using one avi to make an image. I did try using PIPP to process three avi's took in sequence into one, but the image (after RegiStax) wasn't up to much.

It's looking good tonight, so I'll have to get out there and capture some more:) thanks for your help and comments (and everyone else's!), I really appreciate it.

I probably wasnt clear either O.o - I did mean using one avi for each image, but to take a few seperate avi's in a single session so that if one wasnt quite focused or had not so good settings then the next avi - slightly different focus etc. - might give a better image. Its probably not as good to try to combine avi's taken seperately as the planet may have rotated in the time it takes to capture 2 or 3 avi runs. Though a free program called virtual dub is a brilliant video editor where you can chop out the wobbles or pick the best bits of an avi - remembering to use footage from the same 1 - 2 min period to avoid rotation bluring.

There is a program to combat rotation (winJupos) but its mostly used as a subtle effect on very good data where the small details are visible.

Give Castrator and virtual dub a look, see if they are any help. I'm also looking forward to trying PIPP out, I havent commented or recommended as I havent used it or have any idea how to use it, but its new so give it time and its likely to be superior to Castrator from what I've heard thus far.

Regards

Aenima

Thanks for the kind comments in my photo, I will use Castrator next time, I did wonder where the lines came from!

I am LOVING experimenting, I'm finding it half the pleasure of this new interest, the other half being the thrill of finding things after a star hop!

Yes I was well chuffed with myself when I first got my scope before I fitted Goto when I found M13 and M92 clusters in Hercules, by the free Stellarium software and just the 9x50 finderscope. :)

Also Andromeda by starhopping, there is something about goto that takes the feeling of accomplishment away - even though goto has many uses - as I was more pleased with finding the object than actually viewing it.

Keep it up. :D

Aenima

Related to webcam imaging...

Have tried this mod using an own brand asda webcam and having imaging problems. No matter what settings I try all I get is one large white disk and a couple smaller white blobs from the moons. Have tried with and without the IR filter fitted, and get the same results. Is this possibly just a sign that this camera is unsuitable or is it down to user error?

Might end up just going for the xbox cam at this rate!

Related to webcam imaging...

Have tried this mod using an own brand asda webcam and having imaging problems. No matter what settings I try all I get is one large white disk and a couple smaller white blobs from the moons. Have tried with and without the IR filter fitted, and get the same results. Is this possibly just a sign that this camera is unsuitable or is it down to user error?

Might end up just going for the xbox cam at this rate!

Looking at Jupiter? The white disk would be Jupiter and the smaller blobs the moons. If you can get the focus perfect the moons should become points, leaving Jupiter as a bright disk. At that point try the gain settings (if possible with your Adsa webcam and softare), or you can physically step down the light if your telescope has one of those covers with a round hole in it. Either way, you may then be able to pick out the bands on Jupiter...

This is a fantasic thread and ressurects some hope following the demise of the old phillips.... Where is the cheapest place to buy one of these currently?

I notice that the case seems difficult to get apart without damaging it, is there a way around this, credit card down the casing possibly?

Mark

This is a fantasic thread and ressurects some hope following the demise of the old phillips.... Where is the cheapest place to buy one of these currently?

I notice that the case seems difficult to get apart without damaging it, is there a way around this, credit card down the casing possibly?

Mark

I found a small teaspoon gave enough leverage, without damaging the casing, though a credit card is a neat idea. The main thing is that its pretty easy to get it open without damage if you can find the right tool.

One quick warning, the xbox cam is in no way a replacement for the spc900nc and although as a introduction to webcam imaging on a budget its a good place to start, you wont be able to get the same kind of images - the recent members posting here are getting some great results and seem to be making much better progress than I was able to before moving on to the trusty philips (not easy to find at a sensible price, as sellers are kinda getting carried away by the rarity and demand of the spc900 unfortunately but its worth pursuing in the right situation).

A search on ebay should turn up a few options regarding xbox vision cam purchase, amazon too.

If you are just starting out, on a budget, or not sure if its the thing for you then the xbox is a quick easy mod though not without its limitations.

Regards

Aenima

Hi Aenima, many thanks for the information... I'll take a look on the Bay and Amazon and see what I can turn up... I'm also going to look through the entire thread and guage the results... I've seen a couple of 'reasonably' priced 900's around and possibly it may be worth holding on. Some of the prices are simply beyond silly...

Have a nice evening. Mark.

I got both mine off eBay for £3.69 each and free P&P.

I tried the credit card method for removing the cover, but it didn't work for me. The best way I found was to use a wide bladed screw driver to slowly ease the case apart. I started at the top and worked round and down to the base; repeating until the case came apart. I found that the catches either side of the USB cable the most prone to damage. Any nicks in the case can be cleaned up by running a craft knife or sharp blade at 90 degrees to the surface of the case. For shortening the 'nose' of the case and removing the base, I used a razor saw.

For my second Xbox cam I'm planning to ditch the case and use a plastic enclosure from Maplins, drilled to fit the 1.25" webcam adapter.

I'm having a lot of fun with my Xbox cam, it's well worth trying for the outlay of a few quid :)

Thanks Mark,

Yeah, you'd need to slide the casing off rather than dig at it, starting on the side (right hand side I believe) and working your way round.

As this thread is huge with the how-to spread out I have started to post on another thread - this one seems to be a nice place to chat and share info and images, as you can see. But its not as organised at it could be - the how to only thread - http://stargazerslou...9-x-box-webcam/ is just starting but will include more instructions/images regarding the actual mod.

I'm hoping to add to it v soon. :)

Aenima

Right, I'm sold... especially for £3.69! I'm off to buy myself some test units! Thanks everyone... Quick question, I presume these are completely out for DSO's! I need to start another thread about options there, or possibly just use my Nikon D3100.

Archived