Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

gdheib0430

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

gaarrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh the flipping pipe I got was too thick. It says it is 32mm so should fit but it flipping well doesn't. Thats a whole metre of pipe costing 1.50, blooming heck this hobbby is expensive.

What does anyone else use or did anyone else copme accross this issue

Baz

gaarrrghhhhhhhhhhhhh the flipping pipe I got was too thick. It says it is 32mm so should fit but it flipping well doesn't. Thats a whole metre of pipe costing 1.50, blooming heck this hobbby is expensive.

Baz

Shouldn't it be 31.7mm?

post-18772-0-89231600-1355916407.jpgpost-18772-0-35045200-1355916408.jpgpost-18772-0-84666300-1355916408.jpg

They are a bit costly considering the xbox is a cheap option but those spc900 nosepiece adapters fit the thread where the lens came out of and are the perfect size and shape to fit the scope.

Regards

Aenima

post-18772-0-66557500-1355916409_thumb.j

Also the outer thread fits the correct IR filter in it and the kit will be ready for if you upgrade to a better webcam for planetary imaging, where you'll want the precise dimensions and square on fitting. :)

Otherwise, the eyepiece tube would at least be the right fit.

Regards

Aenima

Baz

Its the inside measurment of the pipe that'll be 32mm, with the actual pipe u'll be adding another 2-3mm, i nearly made that mistake until my girlfriend (who for some reason knows more about plumbing than I do) pointed out that pipe measurments in diy stores are the inside one. :grin:

Its the inside measurment of the pipe that'll be 32mm, with the actual pipe u'll be adding another 2-3mm, i nearly made that mistake until my girlfriend (who for some reason knows more about plumbing than I do) pointed out that pipe measurments in diy stores are the inside one. :grin:

lol, strange your gf is so up on the girth of things but anyway :Envy: , I bought one of the adaptors. Bit more than I wanted to pay but at least I know it'll be spot on

Baz

Yeah, thats confusing when you have an inside measurement and an outside one. And working in amounts under a mm - like 31.7 - its why I went for the good old 'nosepiece' which so far fits my xbox, my spc880/900 and ps3 eyecam and will play a part in my finderscope to guiderscope conversion too.

Remember with the xbox the thread housing that sits over the ccd chip can often need a few mm filing down so the 'nosepiece' goes in far enough to catch the thread - if you are removing the black housing from the circuit board to take out the stock IR filter glass, this would be the time to rub it on sandpaper to get those few mm off - though its possible to leave the glass in place, like if you aren't going to use a proper 1.25" IR Filter screwed into the end of the nosepiece (this gives better quality and keeps dust off the chip ), a few people have done it like that but personally I prefered to go the 'proper' filter route as it is neater and also compatible with other cams when I upgraded.

Best of luck with it, -any problems post back here :)

Regards

Aenima

Ok so this is how my effort finished up looking, starting with the spc900 adaptor that was inspired thanks to Aenima (nods approvingly).

post-26735-0-96622000-1356182170_thumb.j

then I unclipped the xbox camera and smashed the diodes without removing the circuit board. I simply used a very fine flat pointed screwdriver and applied pressure until they stopped working. yes i did it with the power on to help see when they had been destroyed. You will note I have left the lens housing on, maybe I didn't need to killl them anyway, but its done now.

post-26735-0-04571900-1356182407_thumb.j

This is what we have now

post-26735-0-18920800-1356182474_thumb.j

The SPC900 adaptor was slightly large too fit into the nose cone of the cam, so using the pictured high speed sanding tool pictured, i very slowly ground it down until I have a very snug fit between the two components.

post-26735-0-49191800-1356182612_thumb.j

Now clip the camera back together, I used the sander again to take off most of the rough burrs

post-26735-0-84673100-1356182652_thumb.j

Then I fit the SPC900 back in and this is the finished product

post-26735-0-12190500-1356182720_thumb.j

Finally, there are some trees a few hundred yards away easily visible from the patio doors, so I set it up to test and the focus was perfection.

Happy days, Baz

Finally, there are some trees a few hundred yards away easily visible from the patio doors, so I set it up to test and the focus was perfection.

Happy days, Baz

Excellent!

[More nodding] A textbook xbox mod. Nice.

Well documented, Baz, very helpful. :)

I looked at the size of this thread - :eek: - and am still thinking all the useful, 'how-to' type stuff could be collected and trimmed down into a new thread. People get lost looking page by page and often miss an important post or a useful piece of info.

Anyway, glad to see your finished cam, i'd be interested to see what you can capture when you next get a clear night free.

Good stuff,

Regards

Aenima

. You will note I have left the lens housing on, maybe I didn't need to killl them anyway, but its done now.

[

Happy days, Baz

If you leave the lens housing as it is, then it will still have the stock IR filter in place - you will need a IR filter, either way, and without a screw in 1.25" filter (about £15 on ebay) the stock one will do, but be careful to keep dust out (this is a good reason to buy a posh IR filter, but they arent essential. Just a little bit better quality, maybe) A bit of dust can look like a giant fuzzy alien in the resulting image, a blast of compressed air or a squeezer brush can help - probably best not to rub it with anything or blow on it, though.

The LEDs were best dead. People say its for noise/heat reduction, or light intrusion (green) etc. so its worth the risk breaking them if you can.

I'm many miles away from my scope at the moment - during christmas - and my 300D is with a freind undergoing surgery, :embarassed: I broke the remote shutter cable jack plug off leaving the tip inside the socket :eek: so I'm missing astro related things and a little worried about my dslr (wont be able to replace it if it dies :sad: )

So thank the stars for SGL :)

Regards

Aenima

:evil:

Excellent!

Well documented, Baz, very helpful. :)

I looked at the size of this thread - :eek: - and am still thinking all the useful, 'how-to' type stuff could be collected and trimmed down into a new thread. People get lost looking page by page and often miss an important post or a useful piece of info.

Thats would be a very good idea and make it so much easier for anyone wishing to follow on, its could be made to include the pipe version and this one also

Anyway, glad to see your finished cam, i'd be interested to see what you can capture when you next get a clear night free.

Good stuff,

Regards

Aenima

Clear night, remind me what they look like? Anyway, when the proverbial CS do appear, I shall be keen to try my version out on the moon and maybe Jupiter depending on how things go

Baz

Excellent!

Well documented, Baz, very helpful. smile.gif

I looked at the size of this thread - eek.gif - and am still thinking all the useful, 'how-to' type stuff could be collected and trimmed down into a new thread. People get lost looking page by page and often miss an important post or a useful piece of info.

Good stuff,

Regards

Aenima

I totally agree with u on that Aenima, trimming the thread down would be a good idea as it's quite a task trawling thru it as there's quite a few posts that arn't very relevant to the actual mod. For a beginner wanting a cheap and easy way to get their first taste of planetery imaging the x-box is a perfect mod. It's given me the confidence to taking it further,i'd never have thought i'd be able to get into actual AP. Maybe the moderators might think it a good idea to trim it and have it as a permenant reference guide of some sort?

Steve.

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/162359-x-box-webcam/

this is the perfect place - it isnt jammed with posts and its got the right title...?

I sure the OP wouldn't mind...

I have a lot of the images relating to xbox mods, more could be pulled from the big thread too...

Its a good plan I think - if no-one minds and if anyones into the idea as well we could upload or type instructions or whatever.

Let me know

Aenima

Thanks to this mod I can now get focus with my XT8. I don't need to use an EP and I don't have to hold it anymore. For the barrel, I just used an old EP barrel and it works great! Thank you to whomever made this mod!!!

I also used an old EP barrel (stock Skywatcher 10mm that came with my scope, as an EP it was naff but is now paying for itself with the X-Box cam :laugh: ), I ended up doing a bit of a full on attack with mine, simply snipped the LED's out with pliers & used electrical tape to attatch the barrel to the cam, It looks an unprofessional mess but works a treat & all for a fiver, I couldnt be happier with it.

Must say a big thankyou to Cliff for the info tho!!! :icon_salut:

http://stargazerslou...9-x-box-webcam/

this is the perfect place - it isnt jammed with posts and its got the right title...?

I sure the OP wouldn't mind...

I have a lot of the images relating to xbox mods, more could be pulled from the big thread too...

Its a good plan I think - if no-one minds and if anyones into the idea as well we could upload or type instructions or whatever.

Let me know

Aenima

Your more than welcome to use any of my posts or photo's if they are relevent. :laugh:

It took me a lot of searching to find a 1.25 adaptor fitting couldent find anything , in the end i found something by accident. Its a plastic tube used to keep old 35mm camera film in im sure if you search your draws etc. you will find on and as a bonus it has a cap at the end. Result !!!!!

It took me a lot of searching to find a 1.25 adaptor fitting couldent find anything , in the end i found something by accident. Its a plastic tube used to keep old 35mm camera film in im sure if you search your draws etc. you will find on and as a bonus it has a cap at the end. Result !!!!!

apparently they alsomake good collimating caps :smiley:

Archived