Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

gdheib0430

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
haha! Me too!

Just hope its better than my old quick cam express!

Does anyone know if its a CCD yet?

I have not found anything on the internet or PCB to suggest that it is a CCD. Until I definite information I am assuming it is a CMOS sensor. One thing I have found is that the camera's IR filter is located behind the lens holder. This can be easily removed so you can use an IR filter in the nosepiece.

Peter

Butchered mine up today, took the base off cos it wont get used.

This meant peeling off the lable to expose the 4 screws holding it on. You also need to peel the rubber back where the cable comes in., this reveals two more screws. Once these are removed you can take the bottom of the base off. Inside there are a couple of plates that act as weights. Also a thin plate that is held on by two screws. Remove this and things get loose.

The front of the camera and its lense can be pried off using a couple of jewlers screwdrivers. The bottom near the cable entry needs a bit more force and the grey focussing ring needs popping off then it all comes apart rather easily,

Unscrew the main board from the case, and once removed unplug the USB cable. The top of the base can now be removed. To remove the pivot took a pair of wire cutters or a sharp knife.

If your keeping the lens on, you could remove the long plastic tang from the grey focussing ring as its a stop to keep focussing in a particular range. You can then focus realy close! Good for macro od getting focus on say a reticule.

Thats as far as I have got. I am trying mine as a polar scope so need to make the adaptor to mount it against the polar scope, basing it on the Astronomy Shed one :-)

It may not work of course, but hey its cheap enough to try.

I'm probably missing the blatantly obvious here but: how do you focus your image if you lob the focusing doodah off the webcam?

Wait, now I think about it, the pipe needs to be larger than the eyepiece I take it for the webcam to slip over the eyepiece?

For some reason I assumed it went in instead of the eyepiece. I take it that's wrong?...

I'm probably missing the blatantly obvious here but: how do you focus your image if you lob the focusing doodah off the webcam?

Wait, now I think about it, the pipe needs to be larger than the eyepiece I take it for the webcam to slip over the eyepiece?

For some reason I assumed it went in instead of the eyepiece. I take it that's wrong?...

The cam doesn't go over an eyepiece, it's instead of an eyepiece. The wee lens you take out functions in focusing light onto the imaging chip. Without it light travels in a line onto it and it can't form an image. fix it in a focuser instead of an eyepiece and you can focus the con of light onto the chip. That's how you focus, just as you would with an eyepiece.

The cam doesn't go over an eyepiece, it's instead of an eyepiece. The wee lens you take out functions in focusing light onto the imaging chip. Without it light travels in a line onto it and it can't form an image. fix it in a focuser instead of an eyepiece and you can focus the con of light onto the chip. That's how you focus, just as you would with an eyepiece.

Oh poo, colossally wrong again (me, that is).

My 'scope is a 130mm dob job, so I might try botching it by putting it over the eyepiece to see what happens. Failing that I can try using it without an eyepiece.

Thanks for the clarification! :icon_scratch:

I brought the 1st one from FLO and it fits. Only thing is once you've removed the focusing lense there is 2 raised blocks on the black ring. These can either be trimmed down with a knife or filed down flat. The adaptor will screw in then.

Radders

Guys, just getting started on this game :)

So the 1.25 pipe just gets placed into eh EP slot right?

But in that case what "does" the magnification if there is no EP? How do you get these close ups of the moon?

Looking into getting one of these myself :(

Cheers, Steve

A typical webcam gives a similar field of view to a 6mm eyepiece, there is no real magnification involved. Take a look at this Field of View calculator to see how much/little you will see with a webcam. Ideally you should be imaging at between f20 and f30 ish to get the best imaging resolution from a webcam.

Peter

I'd like to know that too! Thought I was pretty careful when I did mine but ended up with a heap of rubbish on it :) Now I have a cleaning job. On my LifeCam Cinema I fastened an IR/UV filter to the front of it to keep dust out as well as cut the IR.

Archived