Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

gdheib0430

Yeah man, I was gutted to have been outside but looking the wrong direction! And to make it ironic, I was chuffed at the time to see a small fast shooting star whizz past - while behind me a bleeping huge fireball was flying high!

Stoopid shooting star - wanted to see the fireball. :(

Anyone get live footage?

Regards

Aenima

I got some footage of it posted in huge fireball threat and asda cam threat as it was asda cam that captured it :)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw that footage. Heard all the swearing! LOL. on TV :)

It was a huge event all over britain wasnt it? Still no official decision a to what it is?

Also saw your orion on 1st dso thread, nice 1 :) the dude was right - you got M42 in there so it counts.:)

Aenima

Saw that footage. Heard all the swearing! LOL. on TV :)

It was a huge event all over britain wasnt it? Still no official decision a to what it is?

Also saw your orion on 1st dso thread, nice 1 :) the dude was right - you got M42 in there so it counts. :)

Aenima

Here's another Auriga constelation making me own star map in way and labeling more dso's pointing to them makes easyer to find them in me skies.

bit light pollution like.

capella is important star to star hunters.

and yes still no decision some my footage i managed to capture SPAM team are compiling file to be sent to that dude john mason meteorologist BAA.

think they still working on investigating the trajectory.

264003_10151232125542288_256041421_n.jpg

Hey there Cliff,

Not sure if this'll interest you as you have stellarium but I uploaded them for someone and figured while they're on my attachments section I'd stick the Lyra ones on here - showing the Ring Nebula's position.

Also Ursa Major and Minor.

Regards

Aenima

I know soon as clear skies i'm going to point me telescope at that M57

and see if i see the m57

Yes, though in your aperture range it will be tiny but still ring shaped. Took me ages to find it, so many times it was right in my fov but as i didnt know what i shouldve been looking for i missed it everytime. It is definitely not red! Its like a smoke ring and very faint. Looks like a unfocussed star in a way. best way to find it is look for thos two little stars to the lower left of vega, (sheilak and sulufat) and its in between them - in middle if you imagine a line drawn straight from sheilak to sulufat its on that line, central. :)

Same as hercules cluster is found on the line in the right side of the constellation.

Regards

Aenima

Hi Cliff,

I gathered some xbox pictures together, but there is another thread anyhow. I must have started it a while ago and forgot. There are the very basics of the cam mod with a few examples of images so i'll just add my pics to that one, save hassle - its just called ....suitable webcam advice.... though so ppl looking for how to mod xbox will still come here. :)

Oh well.

So how you getting on?

Regards

Aenima

Erm, I think I messed up those stellarium shots. I did something to my 'attachments' page I think. Was trying to remark other stuff, but the replacements didnt overwrite the first set so I cut them from attachments to put new ones in and the original links are gone. Im hopeless with files sometimes, I'll see if i can redo the first lot back onto SGL. Did you get to see them or save them?

Regards

Aenima

Yep i seen the stellarium pics

I have just created Fireball cam 2

which is xbox cams imaging sensor and another pin hole lens from ball shaped asda cam ;)

got quite few skycams ready for meteor watching.

Cliffcam = Linux mini laptop

Fireball cam 1 that cam that i captured that fireball last week :)

and now Fireball cam 2 which i just created, will be connected to windows system.

ready for meteor showers october :)

What type of screwdriver did people use for the back to release the IR filter? I've nearly managed to wear down 1 of the screws using the same screwdriver i had used for the previous ones, i just cant seem to get any traction in there.

What type of screwdriver did people use for the back to release the IR filter? I've nearly managed to wear down 1 of the screws using the same screwdriver i had used for the previous ones, i just cant seem to get any traction in there.

I used electronics tester screw drive but small philips screw driver shud work

like them repair glasses screw drivers.

Hi Cliff,

A + 1 for the glasses repair tool. I have one which is a metal rod about two inches long and either end unscrews for flat or cross head, they got excellent grip and tough metal heads. Very handy, most useful thing i've got when it comes to webcam mods.

Grrr, not happy btw. Weather channel . com has lied to me twice in a row now, forecasted clear over sw devon when the night was clouds all the way! Same thing again tonight. Cant rely on those weather sites, it sucks.

Hope your having better luck.

Regards

Aenima

Oh yeah. The whole water on mars thing. pretty awesome huh?!

Hi Cliff,

A + 1 for the glasses repair tool. I have one which is a metal rod about two inches long and either end unscrews for flat or cross head, they got excellent grip and tough metal heads. Very handy, most useful thing i've got when it comes to webcam mods.

Grrr, not happy btw. Weather channel . com has lied to me twice in a row now, forecasted clear over sw devon when the night was clouds all the way! Same thing again tonight. Cant rely on those weather sites, it sucks.

Hope your having better luck.

Regards

Aenima

Oh yeah. The whole water on mars thing. pretty awesome huh?!

Yep tested Fireball 2 cam out and it's working superb :) going to calibrate some images from it clean up some noise.

and see what outcome is in bit

took few moons images with microsoft lifecam

Starting to look quite nice i need to low brightness /gain it's looking great!

486775_10151240124272288_791156965_n.jpg

Thats really very good mate !

Seriously, its miles better than my attempts at ms ICE mosaics. Any kind really. What kind of lifecam is it, there are a few different models...

Awesome stitching Cliff, i like it ! :)

Aenima

Microsoft vx-800 thanks for comments i know pretty cool mosaic.

that microsofy ice just does it all automatic amazing how it stitches matches images guess when i record snippets of moon.

keeping the scope stable and moving around moon slowly record avi for about 30-40 second captures thats how i done mine then i registax them 30-40 second captures to get me first stacked image then i do all others exact same settings and then microsoft ice :)

Microsoft vx-800

Ha. I have got one of those. Do you mean the kind that has the annoying auto focus, and looks like xbox cam but with pinhole lens casing? If itis that one would you mind giving me a hand to mod it? I have only modded an xbox, which is simple, and my philips was bought modded, so not much experience modding other cams.

Cheers

Aenima

Ha. I have got one of those. Do you mean the kind that has the annoying auto focus, and looks like xbox cam but with pinhole lens casing? If itis that one would you mind giving me a hand to mod it? I have only modded an xbox, which is simple, and my philips was bought modded, so not much experience modding other cams.

Cheers

Aenima

Was easy to mod the vx-800 simpler than the xbox cam i just remove the lens all together and cut away bit of the front plastic to get sensor more closer to the tube attachment

come to think i need to re-mod it so next time i do that i'll take couple pics

Was easy to mod the vx-800 simpler than the xbox cam i just remove the lens all together and cut away bit of the front plastic to get sensor more closer to the tube attachment

come to think i need to re-mod it so next time i do that i'll take couple pics

I was going to try that but thought the 'auto focus' function - ie. theres no lens to screw inwards or outwards to manually focus, which means its built in electrically. So this made me think you had to disable auto ocus for it to work on afocal telescope.

But its that easy? Just attach a 1.25" fitting tube and remove the pinhole lens thing?

Regards

Aenima

I was going to try that but thought the 'auto focus' function - ie. theres no lens to screw inwards or outwards to manually focus, which means its built in electrically. So this made me think you had to disable auto ocus for it to work on afocal telescope.

But its that easy? Just attach a 1.25" fitting tube and remove the pinhole lens thing?

Regards

Aenima

Yep thats what i done with my vx-800 removed the pinhole lens and made 1.25 tubing with my telescope i had to get sensor more closer to the tube made. some telescopes vary,

Cheers mate. :)

Well it does sound easy and your moon pics worked out. Might be worth a shot. I got that vx-800 and a logitech c310 from car-boot sale for 50p each. But when i couldnt use my xbox adapter straight in the lens housing - they dont have screw lens housing - I didnt finish the mods. Will give it a go now. See what happens :)

Regards

Aenima

Cheers mate. :)

Well it does sound easy and your moon pics worked out. Might be worth a shot. I got that vx-800 and a logitech c310 from car-boot sale for 50p each. But when i couldnt use my xbox adapter straight in the lens housing - they dont have screw lens housing - I didnt finish the mods. Will give it a go now. See what happens :)

Regards

Aenima

Think i'll go to some bootsales i know i seen some big webcam once but dude was selling it 5 quid so i didnt bother lol worth a try looking up older webcams that have ccd chips in them and when look on bootsales check them with ya list :)

but then again now a days cmos sensor just as good as ccd.

Archived