Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

gdheib0430

I'm going to test that xbox cam direct from it's sensor through telescope on that hercules cluster maybe or orion nebula since i know how to find it and use full controll exposure the cam with it's shutter style 1/33 wxastrocapture be great to see someone else try dso's and what settings you use.

like aenima mentions the clusters maybe possibility target.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to test somet with xbox cam sensor through me lil 50mm refractor rather than bigger refector scope i have tested upto now looking at some nets seems to give nice clear image seems interesting.

will test on clear sky sometime as at moment it's clouded out here.

i be able to easy align it up with me newtonium as have it piggy backed on side.

so once i spot somet in newt i be able to test cam on 50mm see if it see's out. will let ya know once i tested it :)

Hey Aenima

I think the price of the xbox cam is based on demand - nobody wants them.. They will not pay more than pennies for them..

I bought my xbox cam from there a few months back and have bought some hard drives and so on and I've had no problems, but it is all second hand kit.. They do back up hardware with a guarantee for so long - I forget how long exactly. I think my hard drives were 12 months, but you'd have to check. If they have a camera you like I'd go and have a chat with them - I'd go to the shop and check out the stock rather than mailorder on expensive stuff. You'd deffo have more comeback than on an ebay transaction. But then you'll pay more..

We have encountered the, now legendary, "swings and roundabouts"..

As for the xbox cams - I don't think we'd have a leg to stand on if we gut the unit, pull out the IR filter and the lens and superglue some plumbing to it and then say it's faulty.. but for a quid I'll give it a go..

Cheers Apostate,

Was looking at the DSLR section, really want to have a try at deep sky stuff, but obviously on a tight budget, and only want to get a basic cheap model to see what its all about, its not so simple as planetary imaging and I'm a noob at both.

dont want to spend loads just to find I cant do it. :)

Aenima

Well done mate,

It does look like a mini-plough doesn't it? Not through a decent 9x50mm finder, though - too many stars to count!

Well Cliff, these pics are some of your 1st DSO's captured aren't they? Either way your making progress, so thats cool. Maybe on a clear dark night you'll pick up more stuff. What kind of views do you get through your bino's? I'm thinking of getting a cheap pair, help look for those clusters..

Regards

Aenima

Well done mate,

It does look like a mini-plough doesn't it? Not through a decent 9x50mm finder, though - too many stars to count!

Well Cliff, these pics are some of your 1st DSO's captured aren't they? Either way your making progress, so thats cool. Maybe on a clear dark night you'll pick up more stuff. What kind of views do you get through your bino's? I'm thinking of getting a cheap pair, help look for those clusters..

Regards

Aenima

Yep me little dso's all from just Cliffcam no telescope or binoculars used.

Me massive binoculars heavy as they are.

Amazing views see lots lot and lots stars just like as if i'm looking through me telescope on 12 x 70 and when i move zoom slider i get lot closer to stars and stars come apart from each other doesnt effect light too much when on max zoom just bit dimmish but still not too bad they see more light on low setting.

I have yet to still try with them for hunting them clusters so on.

need them on tripod.

the cz zoom ones they pants lol still see bit allright for like moon so on but stars bit dim they allright for daytime viewing.

I started viewing skies with pair of 10 x 50's

i used to have lovely pair WA 10 x 50 infact i'm thinking getting another pair maybe 7 x 50 or 10 x 50's as they see more light and hand held dont need tripod.

Cliff, I noticed a thread today where someone asked how to mod the xbox cam, and I realised he would need two years to wade through this entire thread to find the actual posts that have the useful info in scattered places. Maybe - with your permission - we could start a new thread fresh that just has the tutorial and relevent pictures from here so people can follow the tut. while modding their cams.......?

I would put stuff from my two modded cams both pics of the mod and images taken with it.

What do you say?

Aenima

Cliff, I noticed a thread today where someone asked how to mod the xbox cam, and I realised he would need two years to wade through this entire thread to find the actual posts that have the useful info in scattered places. Maybe - with your permission - we could start a new thread fresh that just has the tutorial and relevent pictures from here so people can follow the tut. while modding their cams.......?

I would put stuff from my two modded cams both pics of the mod and images taken with it.

What do you say?

Aenima

Welcome infact i didnt make this thread i just posted on it

OK mate. Sounds like a plan.

You wanna start?

Call it something like 'how to- the xbox livecam mod.' and stick it in d.i.y astro again but stay with just tutorials - take all the best stuff from this thread and add to it with new stuuf?

Jay.

Ok mate, cheers.

I know this thread is a cool one for chat as well as general xbox stuff so with the other one I will stick it in tutorials or something so ppl wont feel like its chatty, as this is really the place to be if we are going to talk about things.

I dont want to make this thread less used, just take the tutorial bit and put it where it'll do most good.

Regards

Aenima

Got loads threads on here i even have made made new one today for me Cliffcam :)

starting to make me own star maps and makes easyer to find objects in me skies from my location and me other skycam took of that huge major fireball event other night that is just so epic wants me to buy another asda cam now asda be huge on sales of them asda cams.

Yeah man, I was gutted to have been outside but looking the wrong direction! And to make it ironic, I was chuffed at the time to see a small fast shooting star whizz past - while behind me a bleeping huge fireball was flying high!

Stoopid shooting star - wanted to see the fireball. :(

Anyone get live footage?

Regards

Aenima

Archived