SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

gdheib0430

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Cliff just added you, thanks for the comment on the pics but I still have a very long way to go, probably have the right equipment but not the knowhow, will perservere though. The last few weeks I have not done much as far as AP is concerned, just enjoyed trawling the night sky and enjoying it :).

Jim

Cliff, don't know if you are interested but I have a cam attached to a 9x50 finderscope, I use it in conjunction with Stellarium. The cam is one I salvaged from a film scanner and the resolution is fixed at 2592 x 1680, RGB24 and FR at 3.75. When in use I orientate it with Stellarium and it allows me to pinpoint accurately any target I want to see or photograph. I have taken some photographs with it but they were just to see what I could do, not good enough for show. I have as yet to take the LED out (Blue) and I will be putting in a fan, maybe it will help but that is for another day.

Jim

I've now modded my xbox webcam brought of ebay for £4.30 and brought webcam adapter as well from ebay for £9.99 quick test today pointing at the trees at woods back of me. Excellent results just need clear skies now for the proper test :D

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

I've now modded my xbox webcam brought of ebay for £4.30 and brought webcam adapter as well from ebay for £9.99 quick test today pointing at the trees at woods back of me. Excellent results just need clear skies now for the proper test :D

Nice one welcome to gang xbox cam users :)

Cliff, don't know if you are interested but I have a cam attached to a 9x50 finderscope, I use it in conjunction with Stellarium. The cam is one I salvaged from a film scanner and the resolution is fixed at 2592 x 1680, RGB24 and FR at 3.75. When in use I orientate it with Stellarium and it allows me to pinpoint accurately any target I want to see or photograph. I have taken some photographs with it but they were just to see what I could do, not good enough for show. I have as yet to take the LED out (Blue) and I will be putting in a fan, maybe it will help but that is for another day.

Jim

Sounds good that cams from inside film scanner how do you oriantate cam with stellarium.

Sounds good that cams from inside film scanner how do you oriantate cam with stellarium.

Say for example I am looking at Vega, I have it centered in the EP, I zoom in on it in Stellarium and then turn the cam so that all the stars on screen are in the same configuration as in Stellarium, this allows me to star hop and if I want to photograph a nebula or galaxy in the vicinity I know it is centred on the screen because of what is around it. I also use a crosshair programme that overlays the cam screen, helps with centreing :)

Jim

Looks like you caught a satellite there as well or small asteroid ;-)

Is it best to remove the ir filter, I decided to leave mine in just to protect the chip ?

I remove the ir filter so makes the cam more sensitive and it picks up infrared light.

I remove the ir filter so makes the cam more sensitive and it picks up infrared light.

Thanks, now removed the ir filter now just some clear skies :blink:

Where did you get the F3 lenses from for your sky cam ?

Thanks, now removed the ir filter now just some clear skies :blink:

Where did you get the F3 lenses from for your sky cam ?

I got it from travelar dv 3010 mini mpeg4 video camcorder i just removed the whole lens from camera and i use that camera on telescope for like planetary use now. and put the pin hole lens onto the xbox sensor f3 7.7mm lens

6458ac3a12e50580784b0adf7b4cb8bc.jpg

Archived