Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

gdheib0430

What went wrong with the afocal, Cliff?

I still want to try that idea for getting an afocal shot of the moon so capture the whole moon in same shot, otherwise in normal use its too magnified and only get a third of the moon in view.

Regards

Aenima

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What went wrong with the afocal, Cliff?

I still want to try that idea for getting an afocal shot of the moon so capture the whole moon in same shot, otherwise in normal use its too magnified and only get a third of the moon in view.

Regards

Aenima

It probably work with moon get full shot i mite re-mod when next view moon need some pvc black tape and some bluetac. probably re-mod near to time of moon phases.

i'm also thinking of buying new scope maybe sometime for xmess i'll get colleen to get me one for crimbo or maybe me birthday october

seen nice eq mount telescope from celestron make 71 pounds thats pretty cheap.

Seen them on curry's site maybe near to time i visit curry's and see about the scopes.

http://www.currys.co...513325-pdt.html

unless someone's got eq mount they dont want welcome bring it round :) i'll have it for me newt.

do bit stargazing if clear night.

Viewed some star probably was arcturus just before thick fog came over and some intruder also but that was on other cam

Viewed star from indoors. xbox cam ccd on telescope

540392_10151176835487288_793097214_n.jpg

This why i dont leave telescope outside.

motion detected this strange can see infrared light on gazebo from cctv cam that is from keep watching intruder went passed lens

cam was jupiter has facing skies along side me xbox skycam that didnt capture out.

Blackshadow1.gif

Wow done experiment tonight with super clear skies using the xbox cams ccd sensor with F3 infinity focus lens i took from travelar dv 3010

and using with xbox cam and done this experient put the cam on top me garage roof shed area and used xubuntu using astrocapture recording avi and set full exposure and got it on 1/33 and wow amazing stars starting to show on monitor just from little gadget i have created.

will show some results later on.

at moment i'm shocked i'm sure it's also picking up some faint fuzzy's aswell as stars.

more i leave it more stars and stuff starting to show now know what call it infinity lens :)

Hi Cliff,

Saw those star trails, nice. Do you have an avi or video of the sky or does the software create the trails? If you have actual avi. the frames will stack to get rid of noise. Also get better stars by stacking, too. Dont know about DSO's though, you need a long exposure and stacking to make out anything faint n fuzzy. Maybe you can figure a way to force the exposure setting in the software somehow?

Never know :)

Regards

Aenima

Hi Cliff,

Saw those star trails, nice. Do you have an avi or video of the sky or does the software create the trails? If you have actual avi. the frames will stack to get rid of noise. Also get better stars by stacking, too. Dont know about DSO's though, you need a long exposure and stacking to make out anything faint n fuzzy. Maybe you can figure a way to force the exposure setting in the software somehow?

Never know :)

Regards

Aenima

I just recorded to avi on xubunto on them settings was like taking ages just to create 1 frame per second and once it made say about 19 frames or so probably about 5-10 mins recording avi took about 19 frames

i just copyed the avi from mini laptop to me main big pc computer and i extracted the images from avi and used starstax.

and animation used easy gif animater.

looking good like how it picked all them stars up i know all noisy so on i havent tryed taking away noise stuff dont know how to do that yet :)

i know registax can some how but i tryed stacking with that didnt seem to like avi recording.

I just put that xbox cam with f3 infinity focus lens i had working with windows xp exposure wasnt too bad but i decided to use it with me mini laptop with xubuntu and put the cam outside on top me garage shed area roof as at moment since area bit of anti social behavior lately cant trust me telescope outside when someone walked upto me skycam other day told police about it also they logged it down

was around 1:16am i was sleep at time i now have xbox cam with ps3 wide view lens outside facing me whole garden the cam can see some of infrared light from me other cctv's also can see all garden :)

and bit of sky and set on motion detect with sound so it warn me now when ever someones in garden trespassing.

so at moment just put other xbox cam on roof with f3 lens and i though why not test the full exposure settings on astrocapture thats installed on xubunto linux and i set to that 1/33 they more i could set also and i was like gob smacked when i see all them stars show up on monitor screen no telescope just the xbox cam with that lens i put on it.

still amazed now going to test it again when it's clear sky run the fan i made.

i was using fan other day when was too hot from clammy weather lol nice and cool.

still got the cam on roof going to set laptop to it in bit and record more skies.

Great thread, but fraid I only got as far a page 13 and seen as no more mods I headed to the end. Just bought 2 cams off eBay to play with, have a number of cams running on my OTAs so will be interesting to see what I get from these, probably use one for cloud check :).

Jim

Great thread, but fraid I only got as far a page 13 and seen as no more mods I headed to the end. Just bought 2 cams off eBay to play with, have a number of cams running on my OTAs so will be interesting to see what I get from these, probably use one for cloud check :).

Jim

Hi Jim,

Soz - first off, LOL to your sig! Hah!

But yeah, take it you mean xbox cams? They seem pretty good as just basic cams, original lens included. But I have been wanting to try one as an afocal cam on a 25-35mm EP to capture a full moon shot. Do you (Does anyone!) know if the idea's worth dismantling an eyepiece and fitting a tube to go between that and the camera?

What are your OTA set-ups, Jiim?

Regards

Aenima

Thank you Aenima :), regarding the cam to eyepiece I have never done that, not sure that I would want to, If I were to take a complete photo of the moon I would do a mosaic and stitch all the photos in software which is freely available, much easier.

My setup, 2 x Mounts (C5-SGT Adv & NEQ6 Pro), 4 x OTAs(SW ST 80, SW ES 80ED DS Pro, PST & SCT 6") 5 x Cams and 2 x Canon DSLR. :)

Jim

Yes, that does sound like a good mission to stitch up the moon. And I think I meant prime focus - the one where its taken through an ep using its own lens - but anyway, I was actually just looking at the album you have on fb, at least the public one - love some of the solar pics where you clearly see flares and prominences. Some nice kit as well. Also a few deepsky shots were nice, M13 is a good one. I'm looking to get a DSLR when budget allows, though still working on learning the software, Webcams and registax is much easier at the moment.

I'm just starting a gallery, not made public yet - only five pictures.

Yeah, laughed lots at the signature, good stuff.

Regards

Aenima

Somewhere beyond page 13 I showed another method of cooling but I have no idea what page.

Unfortunately, the winter skies in my region of Australia have been way too wet and icy to play.

Archived