SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

gdheib0430

Nice1 Cliff.

Yeah, I should think google will find something I can use,will read instructions though as not used time lapse type stuff. I'll be ready after last meteor shower - Lyrids? - where I was outside for nearly an hour and saw one, but still glad to see it.

Thanks for the reminder, bit scatty sometimes so I could've missed it all.

Regards

Aenima

This is some cool software can set different times to take snap image or video

http://www.coaa.co.uk/astrovideo.htm

can record in fits raw mode or colour.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which meteor shower is coming and will it be visible from the southern hemisphere (Australia)?

I usually miss out, maybe see half a dozen meteors over an hour or 2 but nothing like I see on TV when they show northern hemisphere showers.

Which meteor shower is coming and will it be visible from the southern hemisphere (Australia)?

I usually miss out, maybe see half a dozen meteors over an hour or 2 but nothing like I see on TV when they show northern hemisphere showers.

Persuids shower

http://earthsky.org/...or-shower-guide

I shall do bit fm meteor scatter anyone can do that simple get fm radio tune to station thats at least over horizon and run some free pc software spectrograms like speclab and watch for peaks

We see that everyone in the northern hemisphere has a shot at seeing Perseids (weather permitting), but folks south of -32 degrees latitude get the shaft.

My location, 33.4833° S

Crying right now!

Just re-modded xbox cam back to telescope seen as it was startrailing with it with it's unique exposure so if lucky meteor trail past it :) and just have 1 xbox as skycam.

cant seem to pick anything up with the xbox cam apart from the moon and jupiter.is it possible to get stars etc..or even see any detail in the sky such as cloud formations etc..just get hot pixels the higher the gain and brightness go..

cant seem to pick anything up with the xbox cam apart from the moon and jupiter.is it possible to get stars etc..or even see any detail in the sky such as cloud formations etc..just get hot pixels the higher the gain and brightness go..

Yes pick up few stars using xbox cam with orginal lens without ir filter you shud see some stars probably around 100-800 light years away well i once got all orion star system once.

also using xbox cam with telescope see stars closer :)

This is example xbox cam , original lens, IR Filter removed

timed imaged not even stacked nothing.

387452_10150491841697288_676632499_n.jpg

548059_10150840869232288_637650990_n.jpg

I use my xbox skycam capture some wierd things in skies :) check me facebook images.

https://www.facebook...=3&l=0682ebebc0

if you check thread quite few vids lots star images and planetary images from other members have took with various telescopes :)

You can improve image get rid of hot pixels by doing the cooling mods.

with fans or heat syncs.

Got me gadgets created ready for weekend meteors if lucky enuff to capture any just have to record couple of avi's from each cam at certain intervals

My classic main skycam i use all time

cooler system, xbox ccd imager, and F3 Infinity focus lens.

424268_10151151868507288_408808922_n.jpg

Xbox cam 2 created today some automatic space watching.

Cooler fan, Xbox imaging ccd, Some 7-8mm focus thing with prinz astral 500 spotting scope good optics them classic.

559146_10151151852997288_1099077201_n.jpg

I love the clever use of gaffer tape to hold it all neatly together Cliff!

I tend to be a little OCD (obsessive compulsive) with anything I do, it has to look neat and practical but your practical approach seems so much more logical than my many hours spent trying to make things look good.

Every year I get excited when I hear about the Perseids and every year I get to see a couple of stray meteors but nothing like I see in magazines and on television.

I look forward to seeing some of your results!

Back to me drawing board now modded xbox cam 2 to a monocular 25mm lens with bit tubing

What have i created that was took from distance of about

8 meters away from lens.

wounder what this little gadget digital monocular now will be like on night sky. i shall put on test. it's nintendo dogs now nintendo make some cams :)

582577_10151153692087288_1660192593_n.jpg

Hi Cliff,

Yeah I keep looking at pleiades through my finderscope (9x50mm) as you can see all the cluster of stars with smaller aperture, very pretty sight. Its probably Jupiter you saw as I look at pleiades as I'm waiting for Jupiter to show, venus seems to be getting further away from Jupiter and moon, probably later in the year it'll be a evening star again, I liked it that way.

Good luck with the perseids,

Regards

Aenima

Hi Cliff,

Yeah I keep looking at pleiades through my finderscope (9x50mm) as you can see all the cluster of stars with smaller aperture, very pretty sight. Its probably Jupiter you saw as I look at pleiades as I'm waiting for Jupiter to show, venus seems to be getting further away from Jupiter and moon, probably later in the year it'll be a evening star again, I liked it that way.

Good luck with the perseids,

Regards

Aenima

Hows the xbox gang ?

Created better digital monocular out of some broken binoculars used paramax 12 x 32mm

i got 12mm opened that 12mm bit unscrewed the lens thing and took out the first glass bit then i attached that to the imaging ccd and then made bit tube with slider so can focus and added that to 32mm lens and it's working pretty nice here image below took with cam i was like 8 meters away when took that pic.

Will test with night sky when it's clear night so this is ready for test.

384763_10151163622432288_828400767_n.jpg

Hi there Cliff,

Didnt get the clearsky for meteors, though saw one on thurs/friday night accidentally while looking at something else.

My xbox cam will get a bit less used now I have a philips 880/900, but with the longer wire and lighter weight than the philips, the xbox is perfect for my 130p az/goto, which in turn will hold an object and track it to get even better images from the vision cam. Who knows, one day I might work out how to mod it as a guide cam to run my 200p/EQ5...

Either way, I bought another one to try your EP projection type cam, its much lighter than clamping a digital snapshot camera on with those metal digi-adapters and will allow me to capture at different focal lengths and various magnifications. The afocal is good for planetary but i really want to get whole moon shots and even pleiades if I use a decent eyepiece with wide view and try different settings see if it picks any light up that way.

I wont know until I try.....

All the best,

Jay

Making new system for me xbox cam so i cam a-focal it to different EP's :)just simple tube around xbox cams sensor in middle and then slide on to the normal 3 telescope's EP's SR4, H12.5 and the H20 making xbox cam A-focal mite get some full moon images that way.will test it some night.

tested through 20mm see's bit of tube circle

tested through 12.5mm seems see through whole circle

tested 4mm see's through that ok :) will get super close to moon with that thing.

Sorted the EP system :) for a-focal with telescope ep'susing 20mm at moment few dust bunny's but i'll sort and clean the sensor once i have tested it with night sky at moment testing looks pretty awesome looking at pyramid thing top of james cook hospital which just used to align the cam with spotter scope.

so it's ready for me to view somet through spotter and it come on me monitor screen.

295200_10151167573552288_1386847226_n.jpg

That latest all skycam modded worked pretty awesome

i even seen shooting star streak passed whilst i was looking at monitor i seen it but didnt have on record :) was super fast trailing stars kind like fish eye effect from the 75 fov lens using with xbox cam grid locking like still but cant go wrong for just webcam basically.

190086_10151167421637288_1703183539_n.jpg

Archived