stargazine_ep35_banner.thumb.jpg.a7c1791d7e682021778de0def357bdbb.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

I have followed this wicked thread and finally finished my xbox mod. But when using sharpcap with the original lens gone and IR filter in place on the adapter, the little box shows an expected blurry image except i got horizontal lines flowing upwards like a broken TV screen. Has anyone got a clue as to what it is or how to change/fix it? I have no idea how to use the software properly, or what the lines might mean.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks,

jay

Did you manage to get xbox cam working or still has same problem

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OK, as promised, two images of Jupiter, one from the Xbox cam, the other from the Toucam Pro II. You can see the Toucam is more sensitive as it picked up two moons and there is more detail on Jupiter

I went off Cliff's instructions and figured I would take pictures and explain in a bit more detail...Thanks for the initial mod Cliff. Here is the beginning...Materials used: 1. livecam 2. Plastic ru

Found another bit of film from last night which gives a little more detail from the xboxcam...

Posted Images

In addition to my modded xbox cam I bought another two to act as back-ups just in case I can't get the sensor cleaned - they have a clean room at work and the guys there may be able to help. The thing is that both of the new cameras aren't recognised by SharpCap (or shown as connected) despite the laptop seeing they are there. Even the "usb video device" program in XP isn't seeing them. Any ideas? I'm wondering if my original modded one, which seems to work happily, has a different registration number, like the firewire cameras at work, and the laptop is expecting to see this one. I see Stargazing_Cliff has been delving into the drivers. The one I modded flags Detects 3 (I think).

In addition to my modded xbox cam I bought another two to act as back-ups just in case I can't get the sensor cleaned - they have a clean room at work and the guys there may be able to help. The thing is that both of the new cameras aren't recognised by SharpCap (or shown as connected) despite the laptop seeing they are there. Even the "usb video device" program in XP isn't seeing them. Any ideas? I'm wondering if my original modded one, which seems to work happily, has a different registration number, like the firewire cameras at work, and the laptop is expecting to see this one. I see Stargazing_Cliff has been delving into the drivers. The one I modded flags Detects 3 (I think).

I think your correct with each xbox cam has different registering in windows it seems here method i did

What you need to do is remove all xbox cams and put in only the very first xbox cam that worked in windows you need to goto control panel, system, then device manager and click unistall where xbox driver is in usb section

then best restart system and then next plug in the xbox cam's for each xbox cam in different usb sockets and it installs xbox cam for each usb socket remember which socket you put xbox cam in also.

thats how got mine to detect 2 xbox cams at same time.

Edited by Stargazing_Cliff
Thanks Stargazing_Cliff. I'll try this out when I get the chance tomorrow - it's getting late even for me. It makes some sense now even within the wacky world of windows.

Look forward to any images taken with your xbox cams

Hi Cliff,

Good thread this. I have had an SPC900 and own a couple of nice astro cams, but on the strength of your thread bought an Xbox camera, stripped it down to work without IR and then bought another two.

I would say for the money they can't be beat. Well spotted on this one.

I took the following picture of the moon without any tracking, just an ST-80, an Xbox and a focal reducer, nice and basic and simple, cheap and great results.

www.drrobin.co.uk/moon.htm

Cheers.

post-23264-133877771652_thumb.jpg

I find that image less than easy on the eye for some reason, and I really don't mean that as a criticism of your image. I wonder if it's down to the CA? There's a small amount showing at the top and bottom, but it's almost like it's in focus and out of focus at the same time. Most odd.

You don't have an ED80 tucked away somewhere that you can do a comparison shot with? ;)

Actually, since I do have both, and two Xbox cams, perhaps I'll give it a try myself when I get them all out again (most of my scopes are packed up at the moment due to a temporary shortage of storage space).

James

Hi James,

Probably best explained by the fact that I didn't have any IR filter. So visible and IR would focus at a different point and impossible to get perfect focus.

I bought three Xbox cameras in the end, one is modified for IR, the second has no lens, but is fitted with the stock IR filter and a 1.25" barrel and the third is standard.

My main interest in the Xbox and ST-80 is for solar obs and the up and coming transit of Venus. I just gave the moon a try since it is the same apparent diameter.

Roll on some clear night or even days now....

Probably best explained by the fact that I didn't have any IR filter. So visible and IR would focus at a different point and impossible to get perfect focus.

Ah yes, that could quite easily be the reason.

James

Did you manage to get xbox cam working or still has same problem

Yes mate, actually the cam seems okay in certain light and worse when pointed near laptop screen, someone sugested different wavelengths of light a few posts back and technically I wouldnt know but sounds like a good possiblilty, although I have replaced the standard IR square and screwed an Altair IR blocker on (I did notice a very small scrape where the filter was cleaned too hard by someone before I bought it - thought it was new -£17- but nevermind) I wonder if that is the reason.

Just to test it, no gap in the clouds yet ;) i poked it out a window in my 130p and took a still image of a distant tree - didn't notice the lines but it was daylight, so... Dunno.

Anyway - thanks to everyone who contributed to the thread, and offered suggestions and advice, much appreciated.

Take care,

Jay

PS if I get it up and running I will stick a picture up on this thread, as an example of the xbox mod.....

Edited by Aenima

Awesome lot stargazers modding this cam ;)

I have made new mod with cam with small pin hole lens

i know box is bit of mess but tidy that up later date.

Pin hole lens image below with modded xbox cam. still on test may move the circle bit in middle sensor sometime.

kind of gives fish eye circular view what you rekon ?

I think got lens from old trust spacecam 120 or possibly was hercules webcam.

Snap-5-8-2012_9-08-21.jpg

Pic of lens used

pinholelens.jpg

I'll test on night sky when ever skies clear

also below image is me main skycam which is modded xbox cam with orginal lens with ir filter removed and put in front of cam ir filter made from inside of 35mm canister that black stuff gives awesome day viewings.

Snap-5-8-2012_9-07-45.jpg

Not bad cams made for me little hobby try capture some them ufo's/ghosts :eek:

will test me latest mod that fish eye circular xbox cam sometime and if takes some pics of stars will upload on here.

Tell ya somet can do allsorts with this xbox cam attach to telescope's or try different lens with it.

Hi,

Thanks Gina, your stretched version looks good, I might try that on the original. It was just a quick test to make sure the FOV was okay, but I was really pleased with the results.

My new Xbox camera is just running with the stock IR filter and looking in daylight comparing images without the filter and with the filter, the ones without the filter will never come in to sharp focus.

Hey Cliff, your new camera housing looks like a dome with doors. I am expecting to see a video of it turning round soon?

Next clear night, I am going to give the Xbox a try against my DFK31. I don't suppose it will be anywhere near as good but then the DFK's are over £300. I am proposing to use the Xbox for my solar camera, I would hate to think of the filter breaking and the sun burning out my DFK.

I did notice that they leak quite a lot of light through the back (straight through the Microsoft logo and sides. I had to wrap mine in black tape to get rid of the light leak when using a solar filter in sun light.

I've played with the image as posted and stretched the histogram a bit.

Thats a great pic for an xbox cam, first, and secondly the difference in the processing improved it loads, nice one folks.:clouds2:

Hi Aenima,

Yep, an Xbox for a fiver. It's the first time I have used my ST-80 with a camera and the first time at the moon with anything. Considering it was on a fixed tripod with no tracking it just shows what can be achieved with minimal gear.

Noticed on xbox cam circuit has small pin holes may need covering bit blue tac for when puttin cold fans on back them otherwise may get cold air flow into telescope unless thats good thing.

then again fans can make dust build up i have put bit tac on holes stop dust

found super light fan that doesnt vibrate running at slow speed

gunna put that on back one me xbox cam i'm modding will take pic later on when it's on me telescope.

Hi,

First test of my Xbox camera with lens removed, but IR filter retained on the sun. I used an ST-80 with a 0.5x focal reducer and Baader solar film to capture the attached image at 13:00 on 12/5/12. The large sun spot in the middle is No 1478.

It is the first time I have had a go at the sun and pleased with the results.

****Word of warning though, don't try this without the proper filter.****

post-23264-133877773035_thumb.jpg

My latest modded xbox cam very light weight box and fan.

IMG1099A.jpg

IMG1100A.jpg

Ready to focus on moon then deep space time lapse :clouds2: on fixed point luck what ever capture.

Who likes my little stargazer ornament on little deck chair hehehe

Hi,

Thanks Gina, your stretched version looks good, I might try that on the original. It was just a quick test to make sure the FOV was okay, but I was really pleased with the results.

My new Xbox camera is just running with the stock IR filter and looking in daylight comparing images without the filter and with the filter, the ones without the filter will never come in to sharp focus.

I have modded my xboxcam but just recently noticed the coating on the 1.25" altair IR filter I bought to screw into the adapter has a small patch apparently worn away, (was meant to be new), does anyone know how drastically this will affect the xcam's performance?

cheers,

jay

Hi,

Thanks Cliff. Great little cameras these, I wouldn't have known how good if I hadn't seen your postings on this thread.

Aenima, looks like your filter will have to go back. I am using the stock IR filter, seems to work okay, but I guess it depends what you are using it for.

As a stop gap I would try the stock filter until you get the Altair one sorted out.

Hi,

I processed another one of the videos from lunch time today, this one slightly less gain, I think it has brought the detail out better. I used 150 exposures, stacked in Registax 5.

post-23264-13387777313_thumb.jpg