SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

gdheib0430

I'd be concerned about vibration from the fan causing problems with the camera when you try to use it for imaging. You've got a chunk of mass there that's a long way from any support. You might well need to keep your eye on that.

James

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd be concerned about vibration from the fan causing problems with the camera when you try to use it for imaging. You've got a chunk of mass there that's a long way from any support. You might well need to keep your eye on that.

James

Hmm never thought that possibly put bit sponge inside maybe along edges of fan may stop vibrations mind you havent tested it out just prototypes at moment

created similar box for me outside skycam

tested that seems ok.

The cooling mod i created for me all sky cam seems to actually work gets rid of red hot pixels little bit from lens.

Havent tested telescope cam need usb cable also need to figure out how to get 2 xbox cams running under windows at moment my windows xp only seems to let 1 xbox cam work at same time.

The cooling mod i created for me all sky cam seems to actually work gets rid of red hot pixels little bit from lens.

Havent tested telescope cam need usb cable also need to figure out how to get 2 xbox cams running under windows at moment my windows xp only seems to let 1 xbox cam work at same time.

Cliff, i've seen quite a few webcam surveillance software apps that allow the use of multiple cameras to record video to the HDD simultaneously.

check out these for starters: TrackerCam, DigiWatcher, iSpy Connect

Cliff, i've seen quite a few webcam surveillance software apps that allow the use of multiple cameras to record video to the HDD simultaneously.

check out these for starters: TrackerCam, DigiWatcher, iSpy Connect

Thanks for info on other surveillance software that able to capture images and ideal for sky imaging.

No problems, about time I gave something back to you for your work on the xbox cams.

You ok glad people using xbox cam mod it's not too bad cam for astronomy use and other uses also.

i mite infact next time i mod another xbox cam probably mod it for use it as ghost hunting cam put some ir led's on them for night vision.

probably do same for any more console cams.

No problems, about time I gave something back to you for your work on the xbox cams.

Yeah, 2nd that - wish i could give something back too. This is an interesting thread and a great low-cost cam mod, as well as there being something for everyone - i know nothing about the subject but can still mod my xbox cam for AP thanks to the well thought out tutorial and pic 'how-to' sections on here.

Thanks to all who contributed,

Thanks to Cliff, et al.

Aenima

:)

I'm trying to build up the confidence to squish the leds!

Can't paint them as I don't have any paint. Got a toothpick or needle ready - will they do the job?

Or do I leave them and put up with a little extraneous noise?

yay can give sum advice, been given enuff on SGL :)

@wolfytom -

I was scared of popping them considering the fine circuitry needs to stay intact, but i found a very thin (0.3mm or less) handheld drill like a tiny electric screwdriver handle with a 1cm long, hair thin drillbit sticking out - i believe it's used to put holes in girls fingernails (dont ask..) for jewelery attachments.

ANYWAY yeah, just carefully get it central and gently spin it long enough to make a hole in the surface of the LED without going too far. Mine took a minute to do all four, checking the circuitry each time by quickly plugging the USB back into the PC and restart sharpcap.

Sorry if I have over written this but the LED's were the scariest part and this tool worked perfectly. Huge relief.

Good luck. Careful of the sensor.

Jay

Just changed me skycam back to it's normal xbox orginal lens going to make some kind pop on mini solar filter for end of it when it's sunny day stop sun damaging lens also taped around sides of lens stop water getting in.

i got rid of ps3 lens got water in lens damn thing anyways xbox cam back to it's orginal lens no ir filter also just created xbox cam with eye piece tubing which i shall use as telescope cam i also use wii cam with telesscope when moon imaging as wii cam gets closer to moon thats totally other cam worth getting and easy modding.

Sorted modded xbox cam as the all in one skycam :)

also modded wii cam and xbox cam to use as telescope cam

all working now from me main computer system use downstairs.

if i had automatic mount for me telescope guess exercise do me good up and down stairs moving telescope bit

have spare mini laptop upstairs use to focus telescope then just re attach cam to me long usb cable to main computer then i can just timelapse images.

All working pretty awesome. not bad for diy imaging astronomy.

Just hope its a vibration free fan....:)

Seems ok then again cant see out all see is white both cams very sensitive to light got wii cam attached to telescope thats even very sensitive to light and xbox skycam thats all white will test when it's night if skies clear cant predict weather these days.

I so need to make day cam for skies or make that pop on filter for xbox skycam.

weather is cloudy and windy here in northeast uk middlesbrough

Yes skycam is working awesome so is Infrared

captured some IR Object what ever it is in skies and bit of startrail :)

Latest couple of sky images stacked up using StarStaX startrails

latestskycam1.jpg

Cam picks up infrared stuff in skies lovely shame about clouds like spoils it.

havent clue what that ir object was like awesome anyways.

is that a satelite?/ or maybe a plane

Not sure what ever it was possibly maybe ufo orb they quite few sightings them around world.

stuff possibly we aint ment to see :(.

I allways anaylise images when ever capture out zoom and negative stuff.

Bright reflection what ever was.

Zoomed

Zoomed%201.jpg

Negatived image.

Zoomed%202.jpg

pic of me all in one sky cams i leave outside all time.

skycams.jpg

the night sky xbox cam with cooling system i created doesnt vibrate and it's not noisy very quite smooth running. :(

also in pic you see 2 ps3 cams for daytime use.

me telescope cam thats all upstairs

notice the brown stuff from old camera films i use that as filter.

Finally managed to get me old windows xp Detects 2 xbox cams so now i can have 1 as me all in one sky cam and 1 connected to telescope :(

awesome!

USB.jpg

how i did it was i some how connected main sky xbox cam that worked and i clicked unistall driver

from device manager

then i put other xbox cam in different usb socket and installed driver that way

then put in other xbox cam and both working now.

Mind you have allsorts connecting to me usb sockets 1 is me mp3 dj controllers

1 is dj tech dj mouse (use that for flicking through images faster using jog wheel)

1 is me internet t-mobile dongle and 1 is me keyboard.

cant wait for clear sky test me telescope time lapsing with long exposure settings

cant remember last time clear damn april skies.

here middlesbrough uk where i live.

I have followed this wicked thread and finally finished my xbox mod. But when using sharpcap with the original lens gone and IR filter in place on the adapter, the little box shows an expected blurry image except i got horizontal lines flowing upwards like a broken TV screen. Has anyone got a clue as to what it is or how to change/fix it? I have no idea how to use the software properly, or what the lines might mean.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

Thanks,

jay

Archived