SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M42

Carl M

Hi guys,

Here is my first light picture using my EQ6, must say it's so much better and sturdier than my CG5. Only my second time polar aligning properly using polarscope and setting circles so excuse slightly elongated stars :D Tried to do a mask for the core to stop it from burning out but hasn't made much difference, will reprocess tomorrow.

Here are the details

200P 1200mm F/5.91

EQ6 unguided

Canon 1000D unmodded

20x1 min subs

10x10 sec for the core

orionn.jpg

As always all comments and criticism are welcome, all part of the curve :)

Thanks,

Carl

Thank you spaceboy and zul. Maybe polar alignment isn't the problem but it may be backlash in the gears as I was quite naughty and didn't bother balancing the scope/weights :D Maybe I can get more than 1 minute if I balance properly. Forgot to add that the ISO used was 1600, surprisingly there isn't too much noise and it looks like it could have brought out some fainter detail at the tail end of orion.

Next up NGC891 :)

Carl

Thank you spaceboy and zul. Maybe polar alignment isn't the problem but it may be backlash in the gears as I was quite naughty and didn't bother balancing the scope/weights :o Maybe I can get more than 1 minute if I balance properly. Forgot to add that the ISO used was 1600, surprisingly there isn't too much noise and it looks like it could have brought out some fainter detail at the tail end of orion.

Next up NGC891 :D

Carl

Now I'm sure I'm doing some thing wrong :). I went out last night with almost identical kit and the best I could do was 36 second subs and even they had some trailing :D

Now I'm sure I'm doing some thing wrong :). I went out last night with almost identical kit and the best I could do was 36 second subs and even they had some trailing :o

That is very odd, some of my 1 min exposures didn't have much trailing at all whereas some had started to elongate :D I hope you get your problems ironed out soon. Tonight I will try and balance and polar align accurately to see how long I can go unguided, weather forecast is looking optimistic for tonight :D

Archived