Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PST Stage 2 - First Light

Photosbykev

First image from the PST stage 2 modified Lyra Optic 4" f/11 refractor The image uncropped :icon_scratch:

Really pleased with the final build, the image snapped into focus with the Borg focuser at 8mm (out of 19mm travel). Now I need to think about all the tweaks I need to do to finish the project. This includes anodising the adaptors I've had made and remote focusing as the vibration when manually focusing makes its difficult to get the focus spot on. I also need to review my image processing lol

Taken with high hazy clouds in front of the sun which was just peeking over some roof tops

120218_comp.jpg

Kev,

Well done! Excellent outcome...

Now you need to re-adjust to the increased surface resolution and the additional light you have (should allow slightly shorter exposure times, better recording of proms).

I thought PixInsight DBE was improving things for you?

Re: motorising the Borg focuser.

I came across these polycarbonate toothed drive pulleys and thought they could work. Get one of the larger dia. ones and machine out the centre so it would fit onto the Borg focuser body, drill and tap a few holes around the outside for nylon grub screws to lock it onto the focuser. Then it would be easy to sort out the drive with one of their drivebelts and small pulleys.

http://www.motionco.co.uk/timing-pulleys-timing-pulleys-plastic-c-25_35_26.html

They have a lot of other useful little bits as well. :icon_scratch:

John

Edit: Just checked and if you remove the rubber grip from the focuser the dia.of the body is 63.10mm so the largest pulley should work.

I haven't put these images into PixInsight Ken but I will have a play. It feels like I've gained something like a one or two stops of light, the exposures are certainly shorter :icon_scratch:

Thank you for the link John, the Borg Focuser is nice and smooth with very little torque required to turn it so a lightweight system should work well. The only downside to driving the Borg will be having to have the drive motor on the eye piece side of the system bacsue the focussing ring in only static on that side this willl add more weight to swing around

This is a full frame image showing the vignetting from the corners, when tuning the etalon the central hotspot seems to wander into and out of the frame. Mainly on the right hand side in this case, ignore the black corner bottom left that is the edge of the sun

121505.jpg

Those are really stunning shots kev, very impressive. You must be delighted after all your hard work. Looking forward to lots more great images.

Am trying not to think of my lovely PST as a potential donor already :-). Guess it makes sense to buy another used one for that.

Cheers

Stu

• 2 weeks later...

What to do ???

my better half just took delivery of three BIG parcels that are currently filling the hall way at home and I'm getting a lot of grief. Shame I won't be home until Thursday to unpack them to reveal a new EQ6 Syntrek mount from FLO :D

At last I can get rid of the new CG5-GT mount that I bought thinking it would be more than adequate for solar imaging. It would of been great except for the GOTO approach function which messed up automated mosaics so it's got to go to help pay for the EQ6 Syntrek lol

• 6 years later...

Archived